12

"This is the most stupidest shit I've ever agreed to take part in" Amelia groaned as she looked at all the girls standing next to her in the parking lot, they were about to walk into the school for the sleepover.

They were all wearing matching t-shirts with their first letter on them and pajama pants, as they stood next to each other the word —Gaman— was spelled out.

"I agree," Abby said rolling her eyes, she was wearing the shirt as planned but had refused to wear pajama pants.

"I think we look fabulous" Max disagreed as she jumped up and down excitedly like a child.

As they started to walk towards the front of the school, Amelia's backpack made a slight clinking sound which caused her to feel a bit anxious any of the parents would hear.

"Girls" Ginny's mother Georgia shouted out in her southern accent with a big smile as they stopped up in front of her, Max's, and Norah's mothers. They were chaperoning tonight and were standing at the front door to give them entering wristbands.

"G-A-M-A-N, ga...what's gaman?" Max's mother asked trying to pronounce the word with a confused look on her face.

Amelia didn't blame her, she wouldn't understand either if she wasn't in the group.

"GAMAN, like a man but with a G in front of it,
and can you just, like not" Max explained with an annoyed look on her face but switched it quickly up when she noticed the look on her mother's face. "But I love you, and I'm super grateful to be here"

The rest of the group got their wristbands on and walked a bit ahead as Ginny stopped to talk with her mother. When she was done and caught up they all sprinted into the school.

"Ok, this is even better than I could have imagined!" Max shouted out with a big smile as they all entered the gymnasium which was filled with people dancing surrounded by balloons and carnival tents which had different food machines under them, they even had a DJ and a bouncy castle.

"So, I staked out a spot for us, scoped out the joint, and came up with a game plan," Hunter said proudly as he walked up to them with Peter, Brodie, and Press.

Peter came up by her side, kissing her cheek as he put his arm over her shoulder. "Amelia, did you get the booze?"

She nodded with a smile as she took her hand up to her backpack and shook it causing all the clinking sounds to get louder and the friend group's smiles to get bigger.

"Then, let's get weird" Brodie responded sticking his tongue out in a rock and roll matter before they all started to run towards the dance floor. Amelia was about to go after when Peter took a hold of her wrist, turning her back around. He had a serious facial expression which honestly scared her a bit.

"What?" She breathed out with furrowed eyebrows thinking of whatever it may have been this time. She could see something was concerning him.

"You aren't drinking tonight" He responded in a tone that almost made it seem like it was an order, his hand still tightly around her wrist.

Her eyes traveled down to his hand on her before they landed back on him, her eyebrows raised. "I'll do what I want to"

"It isn't good for you, I saw how it affected you at the party and I won't let you do that again. It's self-destructive, you know" He continued putting her in the spot right for every one of her classmates to hear.

"That's a load of bullshit coming from you. You drink too" She spat out, starting to get riled up as she scanned the room for any eyes on her. She hated when anyone brought up shit like that so unexpectedly, she didn't want to talk about it.

"But, I don't drink so much that I forget how to walk properly, and say loads of things that are just messed up" He fired back causing some of the heads of people dancing nearby to turn towards the two of them.

"Wow! Fuck you" She muttered out with a slight hint of hurt in her voice as she pushed him out of her way and staggered towards the exit of the gymnasium. He called out for her, but she ignored him as she kept on walking.

She found a classroom that was a good distance away from the crowds of people in the hallway and closed the door behind her. She sat down on a desk and opened the zipper of her backpack, taking out a bottle of vodka. She didn't waste any time opening it and chugging a lot of it. That familiar burning sensation going through her body and giving her a sense of comfort.

She thought of her other sense of comfort, Marcus.

He was a lot like her newfound liking of alcohol, someone would call it an addiction but Amelia didn't think she was addicted, it was too strong of a word for her which only reminded her of her mother.

But, Marcus was the way she felt about alcohol, she craved it, needed it. It gave her warmth and it made her relax. But, one couldn't ignore the fact that it essentially was bad for her, that it could ruin her.

She thought about how this night would have been if nothing between them had happened. She would have dragged him there against his will, he would whine about it like the idiot he was, and then they would end up making fun of every silly person out there on the dance floor dancing foolishly. It would have been the perfect night.