Chapter 17

"How about we make a bet?"

Akashi was startled as soon as he heard those very familiar words slipping from her lips once again.

'What is she trying to do?' He thought and then later on his eyes widened and lips slightly parted as soon as he realized what she was up to.

That one single word had immediately caught the recruit's attention as he refrained from laughing, "What bet?"

A smile was slowly tugging on Sumiye's lips.

"If you win, you get to be placed in the 1st string and," She paused and Moriyama seemed to have been taken aback as he slowly shifted to her direction, staring at her in disbelief on what he had just heard,

". . .you'll be promoted as a starter player and you get to play in the Interhigh." She finished her statement.

The recruit was dumbfounded for a solid minute, digesting the reward that Sumiye was offering for that 1-on-1 match.

It was his dream to finally play alongside skilled teammates unlike his former team.

Back in his middle school days, he felt like his skills were put to waste and he had never received recognition and attention from the media since their school never got to the finals.

He was the only one who could go against strong players and his team was a total wreck. The lack of skills that his teammates had was the reason that led them to a downfall.

Or that's what he thought.

But now, these players before him weren't just any strong players, but well-known players for their abilities. Players that had experienced the feeling of victory and being champions more than the number of fingers he had.

Imagining himself in a game together with three of the Uncrowned Kings and the captain of the Generation of Miracles was like his dream come true.

Just thinking about it made him all riled up and excited like a little kid.

After fully digesting her offer, a complacent expression was spread across his face as he met eyes with hers,

"Is that even a challenge? But hey you said it so let's start." He stated with his overflowing confidence before he placed his bag down on the bench, bending down and tightening his shoelaces.

"I'm not finished," Sumiye continues and the male stood back up to meet her eyes.

". . .but if I win, you will permanently quit the basketball club."

Her final statement left the recruit out of words for a moment.

Quit? He's not even an official member yet. He thought about it for a while but he laughed it off not long after, realizing he wouldn't possibly lose to her.

"Alright."

× × ×

Reo was aghast from what he was hearing and as soon as Sumiye turned around and was face-to-face with the both of them, Reo rushed in front of her and gently held on to her shoulders,

"What are you doing Sumi-chan? Don't you know what you're getting into? If he wins he'll be automatically placed in 1st string." The raven haired male nagged.

"I know. I proposed that didn't I?" Sumiye says indifferently.

"You're not joking?" Reo asked again as he was about to panic.

"Mibuchi, let her do it."

Akashi interrupts behind them and Reo was perplexed upon hearing the captain approve of her silly little bet.