Prologue

It was another afternoon in a regular school day as the cool breeze of Late Autumn passed by the windows making the curtains sway gently. Clocks inside the room were ticking ever so slowly as time seems to be slower than ever.

For him at the very least.

Pressure around the room was the only thing that he could feel, another feeling that he didn't like. . .

The feeling of not excelling. . .

The feeling of being only 2nd best. . .

Oh how he despised that feeling. . .

After losing to Seirin from their match at the Winter Cup Finals, he swore that he was never going to lose again.

Not to anyone else.

Losing was the least that he wanted at anything since he wants nothing else but perfection and never-ending victory. What more if he lost at that one thing he loves and was passionate about? It would cause him more than enough mental damage that he could handle.

Although it is quite easy for him to go on the verge of breaking down after losing, no one ever knew how bad it made him feel.

He had the taste of what losing feels like for the first time since he was born, and it was cruel. It felt like his world was about to crumble into pieces that would be difficult to put back together. But he knew it shouldn't end there and that he should collect himself up.

Because if he won't help himself, no one would and no one will. The fear of abandonment from his father lurks within his skin.

And now, being in the phase on the feeling of losing once more stings him in the chest. It seems that all hope of winning is slipping from his hands as he felt that his defeat was creeping nearer and nearer.

Not now.

Not again.

'Am I, Akashi Seijuro is going to lose?'

× × ×

"Excuse me? Aren't you going for your next move? It's been 20 minutes already

"Excuse me? Aren't you going for your next move? It's been 20 minutes already."

Akashi immediately snapped back to reality as soon as he heard his opponent speak up. He was spacing out and it seems like he would want his emperor eye back to win. But it seems that he wasn't eager enough to have his alter ego come out.

Or was it that he had grew weaker in this game?

'No. I am not weak. Losing is never an option.'

This game was the one thing that he has had wrong predictions from the beginning and it had him frustrated to the bones.

He looked back down at the chess board thinking on what to move next. He still remained calm and composed on the outside, but inside of him, he felt like he was about to explode in anger as mixed emotions lies within him.

He glared at every piece on the board, pondering his next move and at the same time he was trying to predict his opponent's next move. He tried predicting everything until he finally made up his mind and made his move.

And within a few seconds, she quickly responded to his action and moved another chess piece in which was the Rook, from H5 to B5.

"Check."

Upon hearing this very word that had escaped her lips made the small amount of hope he had left to win sink at the very bottom.

The remaining hope he has left now could be compared to a single star in the night sky that merely looks like a dot in the vast open space. Or even a single grain of sand that floats in the ocean.

'How did I not see this through? Have I gotten weaker?'

He had thought once again.

A couple of minutes passed by as he pondered on what to move next once again. He wouldn't have made his final decision if it wasn't for his opponent, continuously clearing her throat in annoyance as she grew impatient. Her gaze burning on to his soul.

And that is when he decided to move his King from B8 to A8 as his final move since there's no point in moving other pieces when his King is in danger.

He knows it's the corner but it's not like he has any moves left. He knows that any moment now is the time that he will be face-to-face with defeat miserably but it's better to face it with dignity than conceding defeat.

A faint chuckle escaped her lips as it curled up into a sly smile. Now it was her turn to move once again.

And with every little move she makes felt like a nightmare to him. Every move meant means that the end would be near.

The way she straightened herself and brushed the dust from her uniform. The squeaking noise her foot makes as it makes contact with the floor. The little sound she made as she stretched her arms in the air. The end is about to come.

The end that will determine who will be victorious. . . and who will be defeated.

She delicately touched the Queen with her slender fingers and as soon as her fingertips made contact with the wooden piece, she lifted it ever so slowly and moved it from H7 to B7 marking her final spot.

He felt like suffocating.

The feeling of losing once again is sinking in to him.

The clicking sound of the piece as it made contact with the wooden board lingered in his head. Now is the time he wished to never come.

A small smile can be seen forming on her lips before these words escaped from it. . .

"Check. . . mate."

Defeat.

The word that determined his loss.

The one thing he despised.

The one thing he never wished to experience again is back at a short period of time.

No one ever beat him in a one-on-one match in anything. Let alone mind games like this. He couldn't blame anyone since this is a one-man team. He never knew that it will come to a point where he could admit his own personal loss.

But after this game, this game with her, she became. . .

An exception. . .

【To be Continued】

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Hello! Thank you for reading this story! I appreciate it so much!

DISCLAIMER:
Any pictures or gifs that I will use here is not mine. If some looks familiar and it is not related to knb, then rest assured that it won't be related to any other anime as well and is for this story's purposes only. Also take note that I either got it from pinterest or Google that I just randomly searched up.

If you want a certain gif or image to be deleted due to copyright, please don't hesitate to message me in my private messages and specify the gif or what chapter is it in so I can take it down.

If you have any questions with regards to this story, again, please don't hesitate to slide in my private messages.

I DON'T OWN KUROKO NO BASKET.

It is rightfully owned by TADATOSHI FUJIMAKI.

The only thing I own here are MY OCs and the plot of this book.

That is all and I hope you enjoy reading until the end! Love y'all! ♡