Chapter 22

× × ×

× × ×

FLASHBACK - 5 years ago

"Sumiye. . . I told you to stay out of it alright? It's my problem. You shouldn't involve yourself in any of it."

The 12-year old maroon-haired boy states while walking by the sidewalk, hands in his pockets with an unamused expression spread across his face.

While an ash-gold haired girl was walking beside him with slightly pursed lips and and an indifferent expression.

"And you'd expect me to just stand there and do nothing?"

The girl backfired at him after a second, her eyebrows furrowing from being frustrated.

"Yes."

Taiga turned to look back on her as he held her shoulder and leaned down on her level, "You don't have to worry about me alright? I can manage it."

Sumiye was not paying attention to the male and her eyes were directed towards a different direction. She didn't want to agree with him. She knew that she was only trying to help.

'Why is he so mad? He should be thanking me for helping him.' She thought with her smile upside down.

It was obvious that she wasn't listening to him and the male caught on immediately.

So what he did was he grabbed her chin and forced her to face him and at the same time he inched his face closer to hers as well. She was startled on his sudden action and now their faces were close.

Too close.

Not the type that if she moved their noses would touch.

It's too close unlike before.

She swallowed the lump on her throat, unsure of what to do in this situation. She could feel blood rushing up to her cheeks and her stomach churning from their closeness. She wanted to smack him in the head for what he's doing but she couldn't get herself to move, feeling lost in his stare.

'What is he doing? And why can't I say a word?' Sumiye panicked internally, her irises subtly shaking.

"Sumiye. . ."

And when Taiga finally said her name, she finally regained composure, blinking a couple of times before slapping him in the face causing him to fall out of balance for a second but then standing right back up again.

"Hey! What was that for?!" Taiga roared while caressing his cheeks.

"You were too close!"

"But did you really have to slap me like that? Damn." Taiga retorted rubbing his burning cheeks. Sumiye got worried a little bit cause her slap might've been too hard.