I | One Shot | Bella's Birthday

Time's Temptress

Hannah and Jasper were pulling up to Forks high school, straight from being on the road for three months, to see Isabella for her birthday. Hannah had promised to see her very clumsy, human friend for the annual occasion no matter what. So, here she was, dressed in a plain pair of boyfriend jeans and a light cardigan/tank top combo with her heart on her sleeve. It was also to officially drop out of school with some excuse about out of district learning bullshit.

It was a two for one plan.

"When was the last time you fed, sweetheart?" Han glanced over to her husband in earnest, a compassionate tilt of her eyebrow causing his darkening orbs to glance at her own. He lightly rolled them as he swerved into Forks high school parking lot.

"About... thirty minutes out of New York."

Hannah pursed her lips, grabbing her school bags from the back seat. It was cluttered with all their luggage and maps. A true campervan. "We should've fed sooner. Being around all these high pheromone teenagers."

Jas put the car in park, a couple spaces from his siblings. They didn't know Hannah and him were coming back today - well, of course Alice knew, but she was good about keeping things hush. They spotted Edward's shiny Volvo opening up to reveal Isabella Swan, the human girl with a desire for the impossible. They arrived together, no big surprise there.

"Don't stress, darling. We'll take care of it tonight before we head out again." He grabbed her hand, smoothing his thumb over her tense knuckles.

Jasper had been feeling everything she was for the entire summer. A mixture of solemn divinity and catastrophic dissonance. If there was one thing the Southern Immortal learned, is that one person could feel two conflicting emotions at one time. It was possible to be depressed and hopeful in the same moment. That was his Hannah this summer and it disheartened him.

His wife looked unconvinced but nodded anyway. Her lips curled in that beautiful image he loved to see again and again. He couldn't help but mirror it, bringing her hand to his lips to kiss upon her knuckles. "Are you ready?"

"Let's go wish Bella a happy birthday."

"Something tells me she won't be very happy about that." Jasper sighed with a knowing smirk as he stepped out of the car. He immediately went to her side of the vehicle, opening her door and offering his hand in the same moment. Hannah intertwined their hands comfortably, a dark sense of nostalgia washing over her at being on school grounds again.

Somehow, Forks always had such an ominous presence.

As if hearing her thoughts, Edward turned with a wide smirk. Probably the closest to a smile she'd ever seen. It made her walk that much faster to her adoptive brother. "It's one year older than you," Bella responds to his earlier comment, her back facing the golden haired immortal.