IV | Of Nuisances

𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞'𝐬 𝐓𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬

      Hannah was taking her sweet time walking home. The town was small enough that it wouldn't take too long. Which, didn't really matter anyway, seeing as she never grew tired.

      Her ballet flats tapped delicately, soundlessly, as she gazed at the fluffy clouds above. Hannah's white sundress flapped in the light breeze and many would say she appeared like a dove, flying in for a landing.

      Many of the town's people were categorized into two lanes. Those who were too intimidated to approach Alice and Hannah. And those who were arrogant enough to not understand 'no' for an answer.

      That was Bradley Zimmerman. A blue collar, handsome young man at the prime of taking on his father's business. He had cropped and cut blonde hair, gelled backwards. His crystal blue eyes and charismatic smirk could curl any woman's toes but not Hannah's. She tried to avoid him at all costs because he just didn't understand rejection. Spoiled boys had a tendency to do that.

      "Hannah! Hey, Hannah." He smiled that mega-watt grin as he jogged up to her. Turning on her heel, she tilted her head up slightly to get a good look at him. "Well if it isn't Ms. Hannah Carmelo."

      "Good afternoon, Bradley." She was polite, only choosing to internally cringe as he leant forward to kiss her cheek. That was a very forward act, one she did not appreciate. "How are you?"

      "Well, thank you. You're looking very beautiful on this fine day. I love what you did to your hair." Hannah arched a quizzical eyebrow, reaching up to touch her hair. It was curled whilst half of it was pinned away from her face. Exactly how she always had it.

      To humor him, she smiled gently. "Thank you. I'm incredibly sorry for cutting this short, but I really must be getting home."

      "Oh, I'll walk you." He led her by the elbow in the direction of her house. "Have you given much thought about my offer?"

      Hannah sighed internally, grinding her teeth as they grew closer and closer to her home. Yes, after four short months Bradley did unexpectingly offer to court her. Which, was an old fashioned for this era, but still didn't appeal to Hannah in anyway whatsoever. She had a guess that he just wanted to scoop her up before anymore of the towns people decided to cuff her.

      She stayed silent, thinking how to let him down gently but also make it perfectly clear she was not interested.

      "Yes, and I have my answer... Though you may not like it." His expression went from excited and smug to offended and disappointed.

      They finally made it to her home. The exterior was painted white with red rose bushes perfectly planted out front. Window boxes filled with lilies complimented the house, nicely. And Alice was sure to add her special touch by stoning up the pathway to meet a placemat with their initials.