VI | Swinging Parties

𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞'𝐬 𝐓𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬

      "Wait, Hannah." Jasper called after her, his steps fast and sure. He was determined to, at least, find out what all these emotions meant. She was like spring after a three year winter. Fresh and bright, radiating real happiness. It was something new he hadn't been around in all his days, surprisingly. There was happy – and then there was pure joy, that was Hannah.

      Hannah didn't stop to wait for him. Just like he was determined to learn more, she was even more so ready to get out of there. Jasper was unchartered waters. Of course, there were suitors who thought they could occupy Hannah's time, to no avail. But Jasper was different. Whereas she would turn the others away, she had an uncontrollable urge to keep him close. She felt chaotic – on the verge of subatomic.

      One more southern drawled word and she would combust.

      Jasper smoothly grabbed a hold of majority of her bags in one fell swoop. Hannah gaped at him, annoyance oozing from her pores. "Let me help you," He amended.

      "I'm perfectly capable of carrying my own bags, thank you." Her nose scrunched as she adjusted the tubs resting on top of her extended arms.

      The smirk that tugged at the corners of his lips, put her on the verge of melting. "Perfect is overrated."

      Hannah was already walking again before she froze. Arching a brow, she gave him a once over, suspiciously. She felt a strong sense of deja vu. A certain phrase she used on Bradley yesterday and yet, he spoke the words effortlessly. "What did you just say? Wait, never mind. I have somewhere to be, now if you'd just give me my bags back."

      "No can do ma'am. I happen to believe in chivalry, even though I know you're perfectly capable of carrying it yourself." The breeze lightly jostled the loose strand of hair fallen over his forehead. The perfectionist monster in her wanted to fix it, but she withheld. Sighing in resignation, she stared in his blood red eyes. Unfortunately, it seemed Hannah met her match.

      "Fine, yes – sure. Come on." The grin he flashed her, temporarily gave her whiplash as she turned on her heel in the direction of the retirement home. He fell into step with her, one march of his own meeting two strides of hers.

      Older women sitting outside on their porches strand at the two walking together in tantum. Their gossip in low whispers easily glided to the immortal's ears. Hannah chose to ignore them. The four porch ladies did this every time they saw a young lady in town with a boy. Nothing was secret in small towns. Well, except the fact that vampires existed.

      "Have you congregated here long?" Jasper asked curiously, hearing how familiar the women and diner owner spoke of her.

      "Yes, about six months. Not long," She decided not to ignore him any longer. It was quite rude, and she wasn't that type of lady. Although, if they deserved it, she very well wouldn't hold back from letting them have it. "We have a permanent residence here."