2. Icing on the cake

© VeGirl 2014

"So, what kind of job was it?"

"Yeah... well I didn't hear anything for weeks, so I thought that I must have made a far worse impression than I thought I did." Maya shrugged her brows. "It troubled me that I hadn't gotten it though, in such a deep way that I couldn't understand. I just knew this was important, but I didn't even know what it consisted of."

"My surprise was profound when I was requested the next time Mr Fabre came to town. Eager to make my best, I put my electronic dictionary in the pouch purse that matched my kimono and let my mother dress me. In Japan you usually wear a yukata, the kimono is only worn on special occasions," Maya explained to her dear Zoe who knew nothing of the traditions in Japan. "It felt ceremonious as mother tied the obi belt round and around my waist before she ended with the obijime. I noticed my mother's pressed brows as she arranged the fabric over my chest which was unusually generous." She raised her brows as Zoes eyes immediately flickered in that direction.

"The silk fabric of the kimono rustled softly as I moved and I was caught by the ambiance. This was an important meeting with Mr Fabre and I was determined not to fail him. Carefully I walked on my getas trying not to have them smack so hard on the marble floor and careful not to slip. I usually wore sandals, but with the kimono the wooden shoes were custom. Horrified, moments later, slipping was just what I did right outside the door. I dropped my pouch and to my debasement it opened and my omikuji fell out along with the dictionary and lipgloss." Maya smiled and once again shook her head at the memory. "There I sat on the floor with flaming cheeks. The conversation by the table died out and the second Mr Fabre laid eyes on me and it was as if all air left my lungs. He instantly got on his feet and helped me up. The strength of his hands was prominent. He put a hand softly on the small of my back, right under the obi belt and I shivered. After checking if I was okay, he resumed to lead the meeting."

Maya almost lost herself in the story.

"The embarrassing fall had been enough to perturb me, but this was worse. His touch distracted me thoroughly and I couldn't focus on the conversation at first. With an imaginary slap on the wrist I concentrated and started to discretely turn Japanese into French in his ear."

"Who was he? Zoe's eyes glistened with curiosity. "Your mystery boss..."

Instead of getting excited as she got, Maya felt empty. "Do you want me to tell you or what?"

"Sorry, I just..."

One look from the storyteller silenced her efficiently.

"The other guests had their own interpreters sitting on their side. Now and again I tried to sneak peeks off Mr Fabre, I noticed the way he raked his hand through his hair, the way he rolled his pen in his hand when he thought and the way he took his glasses off and pinched the bridge of his nose. I thought of how I had never found glasses attractive before, but on this man everything was alluring."

Maya stopped for a while and lost herself in the story for a while. She took a deep breath and continued.

"Nervousness made it hard for me to join in the dinner after the meeting, but one smile from Monsieur Fabre made me blink surprised and do my best. If he said eat, I ate even if my stomach was in a knot. One glance and a smile from him, made my pulse quicken."

She cleared her throat softly.

"After dinner he asked if he could to follow me to the cab where he both congratulated and thanked me for helping him close the deal. "Merci ma belle." He kissed my hand and my heart skipped a beat. I felt light and flowed like a cherry blossom in the wind the whole way home where I sat smiling alone in the backseat. There were more meetings within the next few days, where I didn't trip and made an utter fool of myself. This time it was a little less unnerving because I knew what was expected of me, but every time Mr Fabre looked at me or accidentally touched me, my heart fluttered and my skin tingled. For every meeting, Mr Fabre praised me skills and thanked me afterwards. I sucked up every word. A whole new world opened up for me where I discretely was allowed to walk a step behind Monsieur Fabre and direct him what to do. I was allowed to instruct him to take his shoes off, what course he should start with; how to use the towel and to put the handkerchief in his lap."