23. Next chapter in life

© VeGirl 2014

After our little sexy game I backed off. Eventually I got brave enough to contact the board of Arnaud's cooperation. They were both surprised and relieved to hear from me and that soothed me. The board was thrilled when I finally decided it was time to strap the spurs on and start to ride the horse that was Arnaud's cooperation. I could never have imagined how it warmed my soul that they wanted me by the steering wheel.

Even if I had closed deals on my own, I had never claimed to be anything but Arnaud's lover. It had been his company. Now it was mine and I was determined to make it work. I wanted Arnaud to be proud of me.

Despite the pain of not having him by my side, I walked the hallways with a polite smile on my face, and entered his office that was still left for my disposal. There was no painful spirit, but a supportive air of hope buzzing in the room as I took his chair. It felt as if he was caressing me where I sat in his lap. Tears blurred my vision, but I smiled. "Oh Arnaud, how I miss you..." I sighed, but there was a weary smile on my face.

A discrete knock on the door interrupted my moment and as I looked up, one of the board members stood in the door.

"Come in." I swatted away a single tear that had escaped and blinked away the others.

Monsieur Bonet stood in the doorway with a sad but supportive expression. "Can I just say how happy we are to see you back Mrs Fabre?"

I flinched by the name, in my mind I was still Miss Kato, but legally I had been Mrs Fabre for months during my absence. I was the rightfully owner of a multimillion euro cooperation.

"Thank you so much, Mr Bonet."

"Are you okay," he asked concerned.

"No, but one day I will be," I said slowly and I knew that was true. "How about calling a boardmeeting?" I smiled.

"It would be my honour, Mrs Fabre." He smiled and turned to see that my order was followed.

Mrs Fabre, I thought. I didn't even have a ring to visualize our marriage I thought at first, but then it hit me that I did have a ring. It wasn't the usual band of gold for your finger. It wasn't for the finger; it was made of black leather and fit my neck. The moment that thought crossed my mind, I realized that we had been married for years.

With a smile I pulled the first drawer out. There was nothing but an envelope with my name on it; the swirling scribble was Arnaud's. My hands shivered as I opened it.

My beloved wife,

I can see that the darkest days finally have let you out of its grip and I couldn't be more proud of you for fighting so hard.

Hopefully you looked up Jayden Sanford and however he was able to help you, I am him eternally grateful. Make good use of your life and I hope that my money can be a help on the way.

I was a fool for not marrying you sooner, but better late than never, right ma petite?

Make use of your days, and please get somebody to accompany you to the clubs that are out there? Maybe Jayden can help you find someone hot enough?

Eternally yours, your wicked husband, Arnaud.

Tears flowed freely as the letter said everything I already knew and I pressed it to my heart.

During my life with him, I had always done my best to please him, just as he did to me, and I would never let him down now on such a petites as him being dead.