chapter forty

040: we're okay

The flitting rays of sun filtered through everyone, making the obvious sweat from the heat shine under its gaze. Although it was still soft morning light, the approaching Rod Reiss Titan, didn't at all help with the rising heat in the atmosphere.

"It looks like its not stopping soon." I commented, looking over to Levi who lifted a brow. 

The scouts stood straight on top of the walls. The cannons and continuing explosions did not show any signs of faltering and so did the retched titan. 

"The ground cannons seem less effective." Erwin commented.

"Of course they are." Levi quipped. "The wall cannons barely hit the nape, even with a better angle. What's the problem."

"It the soldiers." I answered, without much attention, making the two of them turn to me. "I mean no offense, but look at this. The superficial leadership with the king just knocked out of the thrown, cannons they just threw in together, not to mention this is the northern region. Unlike the frontline troops, the soldiers around here barely have any field experience-- almost little to none." 

Erwin threw in a crippled smile. "Always quick to catch on." He gave his attention to Levi. "While that is true, this is the best we can have and that's a fact."

"Well that's painfully obvious." Levi replied. "Yet again, your strategy for the scouts boils down to another gamble." 

"Are you even surprised?" I chuckled. "At this point, I'd be alarmed if he doesn't wager of his plans."

Before we could even continue with the conversation, Hange's voice came in quicker. "Erwin, I brought the goods!" she exclaimed, holding her hands open as she presents all the materials we've planned. What is the plan? Simple, bombing the hell out of that fucking Titan, pretty good if you ask me. 

"All the gunpowder, ropes and netting I could find." she finished. "We'll have to assemble it ourselves though" She added.

After her short explanation, Moblit came in wheeling another contraption, probably another one of Hange's inventions. As soon as Hange's eyes settled on it, she practically glimmered. 

"Oh! and this! There's another one on the opposite side." Hange marvled. The thing looked like similar to the ODM gears except that it had barrels instead of a live person placed in it. "The triggers are held in place, so when it's fired, it'll wind itself up, just like our gears."

"So, is the artillery doing any damage?" She questioned.

"Slightly more than a pissing insect." Levi answered, throwing his head to the side as I scratched mine with a short smile.

The woman sighed. "So we're really using these huh?" 

"Looks like it." I replied, slinging an arm around her shoulder, but careful enough not to cause any more injury to her damaged arm. "But on the plus side, at least we get to test your invention on a real huge titan right?" I smiled, which she ultimately returned.

"Levi, Y/n, Jean, Sasha, Conny, take care of the other side." Erwin commanded. 

"Yes sir." we answered collectively and before I could run off in the direction with Levi, I turned to Mikasa. 

"Take care of things over here, yeah? I trust you to look over Eren and Armin." 

She nodded, firm and obedient which made me let out a small smile of satisfaction. Mikasa had always been one to go by her own words. Plus, I had an inkling of a clue that Eren was not in his best minds at the moment, least Mikasa is around to him grounded.