chapter forty three

043: i sure hope he is

"You've grown quite well in the past years." Shadis mentioned, looking me up and I frowned at his words. 

"I didn't ask what you thought about my growth, I asked how you knew my last name." 

"You actually had a last name?" Conny whispered against himself and I rolled my eyes at this. 

"Nevermind. I'm not here about myself. We're here to find out Eren's father. Tell us about him." I grunted, leaning against the wall again with a brooding glare. I could sense Levi's urge to ask a million questions about the whole fiasco but I didn't spare him a glance, afraid. 

"I would expect you to at least know. Has you're father not tell you about Grisha?" 

I furrowed my eyebrows at this. "My father... knows him?" 

"Tell me about him! Everything you know about him." Eren stood up abruptly, making me flinch at the sound his chair made. 

Shadis looked at him, eyed him well before he sighed in his seat, looking remorseful than one should even be. This man held a lot of things, I could tell. It partially astounded me, what secrets does he hold? How much more does he know about my father?

"I know nothing in the grand scheme of things." he started. "However, I can tell you a story utterly useless to humanity. The story of my past... as a mere bystander." 

"Tell us." I urged, fully standing forward. 

He sighed before he adjusted himself in his seat. "Twenty years ago. Wall Maria." he started, as if he was only recovering a distant memory. Twenty years ago... meant a time where I was still living a life of bliss, a time with both my mother and father... alive and well. 

"I was patrolling the walls outside. Together with Captain L/n." he looked at me as he uttered my father's title. I simply kept a neutral face listening. "In front of the gates of Shigansina, he was there." 

What the hell was Grisha doing outside the walls?

"He couldn't remember why he was outside the walls. All of his memories were lost. Except that he knew that his name was Grisha Jaeger." he continued his story. The whole journey of accompanying a lost man inside civilization. 

"He fared well with your father, Y/n." he inserted, making me raise my brows. "They knew nothing of each other, but talked like they did."

Maybe that's why I had favored Eren even when we had only first met. It must run in the blood, huh.

"He truly knew nothing of how society worked inside the walls. Not about this world, or anything else." The commandant continued. 

A brooding sense of nostalgia crept up my spine, and I resisted the urge to walk away. The matter about my own father was still a subject I didn't delve often, but since fate was twisting everything in between, I knew I couldn't run away from it this time around. 

"Captain L/n, helped him. Introduced him to a hospital so he could settle in with the society. They understood one another, better than I could. Captain L/n was special... that is true in itself. Always had the capability to sympathize and understand, even those he calls strangers." Shadis gave me a look, one all too familiar now. "Grisha was odd, while people inside the walls were contented with having sent soldiers to do all the titan work, he praised me. He called me... special."

How courteous. 

"Destined for greatness, It was the first time anyone had said that about me. And it was true the world inside was too small for someone like me."