chapter fifty seven

057: like your mother

"You're smiling." Hange remarks.

The woman enters the room with another dozen of documents in her hold, before she settles in on the growing mountain pile of paperworks.

Her pointed tone and accusatory voice made me halt. I became conscious and pressed my lips slowly in a neutral line, trying to mask myself passively.

"You're smiling. A lot." She grins.

"I always smile, Hange." I quipped.

She retaliates with a quick shake of her head, convinced. "It's a different smile. Not your usual conniving one."

Scoffing at the statement, I turned back to the papers that I was tasked to organize, indignant. Though, the smile creeping up my face was admittedly hard to dismiss. I couldn't help it at all, and as a last resort, I gently nibbled on my bottom lip.

Thankfully, it was able to deter Hange from pressing on the matter. The Commander looked back down on her documents, muffling a small giggle in her palm as she tries to sort herself out.

"By the way, I have a new plan on how I can make Levi not ignore you now!" She says it so enthusiastically that I almost forgot how extreme she can be with these type of things. For a second, I stiffened at the words, and then a small surge of panic rose inside my stomach.

"What do you mean by that?" I said it slowly, almost trying to pacify a toddler from erupting into a tantrum. Clearly, it was not made apparent to her or everyone else that Levi and I had made amends. Of course, I couldn't just outright broadcast to the world that we had made out and called his jealousy quits after. Our reputations were already stirring with the rumors, we didn't want to add more fire by reporting our bed room... shennanigans.

Hange looks at me, smiling wider. She winked. I could tell it from the way her cheeks brighten in mischief.

"Well, this would definitely bring you guys closer. I can tell. Forced proximity as a last result!" She proclaims, as animated as she is when it was in the topic of her Titan research. Somehow, that made me even more nervous.

Before I could wager more information out of her, huge and terribly angry stomps banged outside the hallway of the office. They weren't running, but I could tell from the sound of the boots that it was fuming. A rage that was restrained with a thinly masked guise of patience.

A loud thud slammed the door open, the hinges creaking with the abruptness at the sudden intrusion. Stands before us is Levi himself, and he looked none less amused. I could tell this had something to do with Hange's prior plan, whatever that was. By the way Levi's eyes were sneered, his mouth twitching, his palms stuffed into the coat of his uniform more as a control rather than out of casualness, it was not good.

Hange seemed to realize, and I silently tried to avert my gaze.

"Hange." The tone of Levi's voice exuded it. Annoyance, and maybe even laced with confusion.

The Commander didn't answer, almost as if she had expected this, but it seemed she was formulating another approach with how she looked as if she was reanalyzing the whole ordeal of the situation. I still felt lost.

What even happened? What did Hange do?

"Hange." Levi repeats it again, and this time Hange nods in acknowledgement. "Hange, where the fuck is the couch in my office." He grits the syllables out.

Huh?!

"And why the hell is there a single bed left in our room?"

What?!