chapter twenty nine

029: oh, god not again

Eren's Titan roared, before it collapsed to the ground, rumbling and barely even stable. 

"What's wrong, Eren!?" Hange shouted fretfully as we were settled in the cliff near to look over the open field. I let out a hiss of pain at the sight. "Get up! The future of humanity is riding on you! Get up, Dammit!!!"

I only sighed at this, crossing my arms as I looked at it, waiting for Hange or Levi's order to do the necessary. 

"Hey, Four-Eyes," Levi called. "He's not quite the same this time. He's not even ten meters, and some of his body doesn't have muscle. Plus, Eren's ass is coming out."

"I can see that!" Hange argued.

I let out a short whistle before leaning close to Levi, tempting to tell him something, to which he gladly leaned down to me, his ear open to whatever I had to say despite the numb look of disinterest he had. This little gesture of him leaning down whenever I wanted to tell him was amusing, and frankly it didn't go unnoticed on my part.

"Dang, you're a little science maestro now, Captain?" I teased.

Levi looked disappointed at what I had to say, so he gave me a scoff before looking back down to Eren. 

"Eren! Can you still move?! Give us a signal or something!!!" Hange squaked.

Mikasa on the other had didn't wait for any cue to be given as she immediately ran off to the where the Titan's evaporating body was laying dead on the ground, shouting her own call for Eren.

"Hey... that gloomy brat is acting on her own again. You think it's time to think up a punishment."

"No, there's no signal. We're done here." Hange firmly stated before flying off to the ground to meet Eren. They were getting a grasp on his body, pulling and tugging at the morphed flesh of Eren's body to the huge Titan. Hange was once again in her zone, as her Titan high science kicked in and I only watched from above, next to my Captain since he didn't give me any order to deploy.

I slightly tilted my head towards him. "You should give Mikasa a break. Don't be too rough on the kid, she's just looking out for her family. They only have each other left..."

He only gave a me a deadpan, raising a brow that made me frown. 

"You know, I know I would do the same thing she would if it was you." 

There was that little sparkle in his dead silver orbs. His pupils dilated and his eyebrows softly rose up, making my cheeks blush with how soft he looked at the moment, before it all flashed by and he reverted to his normal self once again. 

"Y-you know, because you're my Captain. Didn't we like swear on each other we'd watch after each other's backs... or s-something?" I trailed off,  looking everywhere before settling my gaze back again to his, receiving a soft nod. His hair lightly jumped up at the act.

I gave him a side glance, flashing a cheeky teasing look before pulling my hand up in between the little gap beside us, waiting for a fist bump as I nodded eagerly, shaking my hand to signal him. 

He rolled his eyes at this, shooting me a quick look-- that one look I couldn't exactly decipher before lightly bumping his fist with mine in a sigh, almost as if he was forced to do it just to satisfy my eagerness. 

"Look's like we've got a long road ahead before we can use the Titan hardening ability to seal the wall." Levi muttered, directing it to Armin who was standing behind us.

The blonde boy nodded reluctantly. "Yes... I knew we'd be grasping at straws from the start."

"Strategically it's not a bad plan..."