chapter twenty one

020: i waited for you

Everybody was dead.

Bodies scattered across the barren filed. Patches of green hues dotted with red stains and the lingering smell of blood felt so suffocating it almost made me choke and faint.

I stood there, just silently watching all of them. My mouth was clumped shut and I wanted to scream but instead a soft whisper only reverberated across the region.

"They all die. So will you" a soft voice spoke, one I recognized as my own and when I looked behind me, a figure of a mirror was present. Eyes staring directly into my own, I choke back a sob, slowly putting my hands to my chest to quench the aching.

My own figure stood inside the mirror, covered in blood and a huge scar tracing itself across the top of my left eyebrow and narrowing down to my cheek. My eyes looked worn and tired. Then the sound of a screeching shriek echoed.

"FUCK!" I screamed, jolting awake and then gasping heavily. It was like I was drowned for a short span of moment, but the nightmare felt like it lasted for hours. It had barely been an hour since I slept.

My eyes instinctively gazed around the room, making sure I was back in the real world, hands coming up my chest, only to feel the damp cloth clinging against my skin. My shallow breathing eventually started to even and it was then that I felt my cheeks tear-stained.

I was crying.

And I didn't even notice it. The guilt I was bearing was way too much now, and my heart was drowning in sadness and longing. It was like that time I lost my father, followed by mother and now I had lost friends--family. Their faces were still clear, the look of dread in their eyes in the last moments of their existence was painted in my memory.

And it was horrifying, it was gobbling me up, it was feeding my growing guilt.

Why was I the one who lived?

My door flung open, making me flinch in the process. I lightly quivered at the brisk breeze the force cause before immediately looking up to whoever it was.

Levi stood there, in his pajamas and only a tank top on, looking annoyed but then his face changed into a look of worry, or at least that was to me. Maybe it was just my imagination playing on me, because when I blinked, his face was as blank as a canvas once again.

"...Captain?... What are you doing here? Do you need something?" I asked, unsure how to make out of the situation or how to explain my current dilemma. I tilted my head down, so he wouldn't get a view of my flushed face from crying.

"What the fuck? Shouldn't I be the one asking that?" he answered.

I moved my hair away from my vision but still dipped my head down. "What are you still doing up?" I didn't answer his prior question.

"I'm a fucking insomniac, of course I'm still up. What about you?"

"Just had little accident. No biggie." I chuckled lightly, wanting to convince him that I was fine so he would leave me alone, because my eyes were welling up again, threatening to break that I had to close my eyes just to not let any tear dip. I couldn't cry, at least not in front of Levi.

"You literally just screamed moments ago" his voice sounded like he deadpanned.

"Ya' heard? So you do pay attention to what I do." I joked, trying to revive that certain snark in my tone but it was pointless, I was just a mess and my brain wasn't working.

"My room is literally just across yours, you know that." he countered.

If I was at any better state, I would've had a better sarcastic reply, but I was drained. All I wanted to do was bury myself in the mess of my sheets and just bawl my eyes out. The horrendous feeling of remorse weighed at my shoulders.