chapter twenty six

026: because you told him to 

Trost district was packed with numerous soldiers, all ready to be deployed as the current situation was deemed an emergency. While advance units were set to scout for any nearby titans, the results just didn't add up as it was only a few titans seen here and there. It was unusually quiet out there, which was why I was so doubtful of this whole situation but despite my own opinion of this current predicament, the only thing I majorly wanted was for my comrades and those kids to be safe, wherever they are now. I could only hope that Hange and the rest were still fine, please.

The light of the morning sun reflected against my skin as I stepped up on the wagon Captain was currently sitting at. I handed the blanket I snagged from the supply cart not further away from here, handing it to the Pastor who seemed to be in the middle of an epiphany. 

He gingerly look up to me, hesitant. 

"Yeah, it's for you. Take it to keep yourself warm." 

He looked at me, very skeptical if I would add but eventually took it. "Sorry for punching you, okay? My temper got the best of me." I mumbled.

He shortly nodded before draping the cloth around him. He didn't answer but the confirmation was already enough, with that, I took my seat back beside the Captain who was absolutely blank and unoccupied. 

"You need anything, Levi?" I absentmindedly asked as I sat.

He looked at me, eyebrows raised immediately, lips slightly parted and an inaudible gasp escaping his lips making me confused. Was it something I said? The thought lingered and I genuinely recalled if I said anything that could've triggered the slight shock in his face. Up until I realized the casual call I made by addressing him with his given name instead of regarding him as my superior. 

"Oh shit-- I'm sorry for that Captain, I totally blanked out. Sorry--"

"It's fine. I'd rather have you call me that when its just us. Again, the whole Captain thing is really not necessary when the both of us aren't on work, and right now you can't deny that the both of us are out of commission and quite honestly useless. Levi is fine." 

I seethed my teeth, preventing a growing blush from spreading through my face. I was embarrassed at the slip up but there was something more to that. My heart palpitated when he looked at me with such usual regard and then I vaguely recalled that small smile of his.

Fuck that good looking face of his.

"Right... So do you need anything, Levi?"

He shook his head, his arms resting behind him, making him look all cool and chill. "Not at the moment, no." 

"Alright then..." 

I twiddled with my fingers as I got myself comfortable unknowingly scooting closer to Levi as the surrounding soldiers were getting noisier with all the unnecessary blabbing and boisterous chuckling, especially from those Unicorn Shitheads who're acting as if we aren't in the middle of an emergency. 

It was annoying, so I had to moved closer to Levi to prevent myself from decking anyone in the face. Levi seemed to noticed this, and he seemed to notice my growing annoyance as well, in fact, he seemed to have understood my temperance against these kind of people that he didn't mind at all. 

Instead, he draped an arm behind the backrest of the wagon, behind me, probably to keep me grounded and prevent me from making any trouble. 

"Can you believe it? I thought this was an emergency." One particular dumb fuck called, not even hiding his comment through whispering.