chapter five

005: pain tolerance

After the little 3DM gear test, Erwin had excused himself, saying he had matters to attend to. I could only imagine a shit ton of paperworks he was buried in, being the superior of the whole regiment and dealing with numerous deaths of his soldiers and strategizing new plans for expeditions.

However, with him out of the little group, leaving me with Hange and the short tempered short man who seemed to be having (not) the time of his life at the moment, the test wasn't over yet. Hange was excitedly squawking by my side, about what had happened earlier as I was being led to another side of the training forest.

"I've assumed you know how to ride a horse by now?" Levi asked, voice quiet and low.

"Yeah" I answered.

He raised a sleek eyebrow, throwing me a side glance before proceeding to walk forward. "Great, then we can skip that shit now."

From the far view, I could make out a group of people, wearing the same uniform as I was. They were all collectively having a leisure chat as we made our ways towards them, as our supposed destination. A girl with hair shade of strawberry blonde, eyed our approaching figure... or more of Levi's figure, she immediately straightened herself, eyes slightly glimmering as the rest of the men behind her followed her gaze, swiftly copying her stand and raising their hands to their heads for a salute.

"Captain Levi" they all saluted, raising their fists up towards their chest in respect. Levi mirrored their salute promptly before nodding.

They resettled themselves, standing straight at the presence of their captain. I had noticed some of their faces, familiar from that day I was captured. The memories were still fresh considering it was only yesterday I was running away from these people and now here I am, joining forces with them, fighting for what they believe in and fighting for something much more bigger than myself even.

Really, how exciting was this going to be?

Levi cleared his throat momentarily, before giving me a quick glance. There was a thick cloud of wariness that infiltrated the atmosphere, making me twitch silently.

"As you all know and have heard, we have another soldier, joining us and Commander Erwin has given me orders to have her under my supervision, which means she will also be under our squad"

All of them nodded, synchronized, making me think if they were some sort of cult with how they were always on point, at the same time, altogether. God, the recon corps must be some sort of haven for people like these.

"Now then, since we have already established that. I've told you already about the test"

The cute strawberry blonde nodded, like a little puppy obedient to it's master. Her eyes twinkled in adoration, something I could so easily decipher by just one look. "Did she already pass the first one, Captain?" She asked, voice small but assertive.

"Yes. Surprisingly" Levi muttered the last part a bit lowly but my ears picked up on it, making me subtly roll my eyes at his remark. From the corner of my eye, I saw Hange trying to stifle a laugh at my reaction. It was quite obvious how she clenched on her jacket, face contorting into a gleeful yet constipated expression as she slightly looked away.

"And since we're all done with that. We'll be getting into the last part of the test"

Their eyes pricked up, eyebrows slightly scrunched but raised at the same time. A passing look of surprise filled their facades as they looked to their superior than to me, a shiver running down my spine from their calculated gazes.