chapter eight

008: what's happening

"According to Commander Pixis, a cadet named Eren Yeager holds the ability to shift to a titan. They are currently using his ability to seal of the main gate"

"Hold on, did you just say titan shifting abilities?" I asked dumbfounded. Erwin didn't answer but the clear look of persistence in his eyes were enough to confirm my question.

The smoke that billowed from the district were thick enough to be cut, our positions immediately spreading out despite not having a completely rational and logical explanation of the events that unfolding as of the moment, but then again, living in this world, being a soldier, and basically having this job, nothing really completely made sense. There was never a dull moment with these damned titans, and there was never a boring moment with the Survey Corps, except maybe being loaded with extra chores.

"No time to waste. We need to move now!"Levi ordered, initiating for us to move.

"Eld, Gunther help out the new recruits." he motioned to the right. "Petra and Olou help the injured soldiers on the ground, clean up titans if necessary"

Then he turned to me, the same look I could never fathom present in his eyes again. The same look which I could only discern as undying tenacity. The same look he had given for the past years I have been working under him, the same one he gave me the very first time.

"You. With me. We need to find the Yeager cadet and ensure his safety for the most part" he ordered. "I'm honestly not sure what Erwin plans but I'm damn sure were gonna need whatever that boy has, but in order for that, we need to ensure his safety and success in this mission. Move out"

All of us simultaneously saluted before nodding. "Yes, Captain" our voices echoed against the noise in the background.

Wires hooking against building, a sharp release of gas and familiar sounds of whizzing ringed against my ears, as well as the thuds of falling debris and slight scorch of the atmosphere. My leather gloves felt damp against my palms as I maneuvered swiftly behind the captain. It was way more hotter than the usual temperature and the small red embers emerging from evaporating titans and burning building stung at the sight of my exposed skin. My cloak had been discarded earlier so I had no fabric to protect myself.

"Y/n" Levi called.

I looked up to him, the wind blowing his curtained undercut, making the edges curl gracefully. "We need to locate the kid." he said, taking a quick look around what was happening.

I nodded, very well aware that it was him indiscreetly asking for any plans on how to find the supposed titan shifting boy.

"If I recall correctly, I've read his name recently among the profiles you've sent to Commander. He's among the newly graduated scouts of the 104th trainees. Maybe we can find one of his fellow trainees and find him. But according to Commander Pixis, his abilities is also being used at the moment, so I could only assume that he might be located near the gate right now."

Levi nodded subtly. "We'll head to the gate, if we stumble upon a cadet, we can ask. Our top priority is ensuring the cadet's prior mission and success."

Without saying another words again, Levi and I continued to zoom, parallel to one another, hooking our equipment along the damaged buildings as distant roars and battle screams went on.