chapter thirteen

013: bunch of pussies

Despite sleeping in late last night, I woke up earlier than most of the squad did. It felt weird when an unknowing smile made its way onto my lips as I trekked the empty halls of the castle, heading towards the dining hall, where I left Eren and Hange to be themselves last night. I knew they didn't get any sleep, seeing as Hange had a tendency to go overboard with sharing her knowledge and Eren being kind, respectful and curious to listen to his superior's words and ideas.

I opened the door slightly to let my figure in, seeing Hange and Eren looking way more tired than I had anticipated them to be. Huge black bags under their eyes. Eren looked like he was willing to pass out anytime and so did Hange, but I knew she could still on and about for hours if the kid would just say so.

"You guys look like shit" I commented. 

Neither of them replied to me, looking as if they were in their own little bubble.

"Okay, let's go over them again, but this time, I'll be adding my own personal opinions and assumptions" Hange spoke.

Eren looked a bit sketchy with the idea. "Maybe we should rest for a while..." the boy trailed off, looking towards me.

"Yeah, Hange, lets take a break, hmm?" I probed, not wanting them to tire themselves out much more than they should.

Hange was about to protest and open her mouth but the doors threw open, even making me flinch in surprise.

"Is Major Hanji here?!" A soldier shouted, scanning the room. Hange immediately sat up, a bit fazed by the commotion.

"The experiment subjects... Both of the Titans were killed!" he exclaimed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was full of Hange's screams and constant smoke that was evaporating that filled the area. Various soldiers of the regiment came to check the place, and Moblit was up in front comforting the crying Hange that was absolutely going berserk.

I stood next to Eren, hands clasping the sides of my straps as I let out a sigh. The Military Police would be here soon for the investigation but I wasn't so sure if they were going to find the culprit with no clear leads whatsoever.

"What on earth..." Eren mumbled, eyes looking at Hange's form that was going insane. 

"Let's go . This is the jurisdiction of the police" Captain spoke in a deep voice, walking away from the disaster.

Eren nodded prompting to follow but Erwin's head popped to his side, eyes facing forward. 

"What do you see there? Who do you think is the enemy?" He voiced, tone holding an amount of wariness. I saw how Eren's eyes dilated for a moment, uncertainty flashed in his emerald orbs.

"Excuse me, sir?" He asked, unsure if he was saying the right response. 

My mind wandered to Erwin's question, not assured with what he was thinking. If I could, maybe I should ask the man later, after all, he had a very distinct mind than most anyways.

"Sorry, don't mind me. That was a very weird question to ask" he muttered, walking away to the Captain who was waiting by the side.

Eren stared at the Commander's fading figure, his head turning towards me in question. Lately, I had come to notice that it had become a usual habit of his to immediately look towards me when he was confused or curious, as if he was silently asking for enlightenment.

"Don't dwell too much about it, The Commander has always been very instinctive and observant. He's probably just asking for an opinion" I mumbled, moving forward and straightening his cloak, like a mother would actually do, letting a small smile before looking away.