chapter fourteen

014: a little thanks

While the new recruits that were harbored from the induction was set to learn the long-range formation Erwin mustered, the Special Operation squad were tasked to guard the experiments Hange and Moblit was going to make Eren undergo.

The current dilemma we were facing was a bit of a drag. Eren was placed in a well, for safety precautions so if he was to go berserk when he was going to transform, at least it wouldn't be hard to contain and study him at the same time.

However, the boy looked disappointed with himself as he couldn't shift to his titan form at the moment. 

I finished wrapping up the bandages on his bleeding arms, finally wiping all the dirt of his face. He had a forlorn look present, eyes casting down, I could tell he was beyond upset.

"So you can't even heal your self inflicted wounds?" Levi acquired, using his usual voice of displeasure.

"Yes, sir" Ere answered weakly.

 "If you can't become a Titan, then our mission to seal Wall Maria cannot progress. This is an order: Make it happen" he muttered coldly, before walking away, holding his teacup along with him as Petra approached his figure.

I could see the pressure getting to Eren. With a sigh, I settled beside him, leaning my shoulder against his to get his attention.

"Don't be looking so gloomy, kid. Captain's probably just scurrying things because the expedition is nearing but I'm sure you'll get the hand of your shifting power."

"Don't be so discouraged, Eren" Eld called him out. The boy looked unconvinced at the words of comfort we were giving. 

"Well... it just means you're more human than we actually thought" Olou muttered. The Levi-wannabe comrade of  mine was actually pretty decent if he just wanted to be. 

"I prefer this to rushing things and getting people killed. This wasn't meaningless." Eld commented. "We still cant be too careful" Gunther answered. 

I nodded in acknowledgement as Olou sighed beside me. I was in between him and the boy and I noticed how Eren was silently observing the whole table.

"If you're wondering why we're still so calm about this, its because were used to it" I answered his seemingly unvoiced question. He looked scared at me, as if I was some psychic. I smiled in amusement. "Maybe it's just the gap in our age and line of work grounding but when you get to work long enough in this regiment, you'd surrender yourself to always be composed despite the given circumstances. Focus and clear of mind goes a long way, so don't sweat it and just relax for a while, 'kay?" 

Eren slowly nodded, reaching for his teaspoon but he flinched and hissed in pain, dropping the utensil to the ground. 

"Are you okay?" Eld beat me to it. He nodded as a reply, leaning to his side and prompting to reach for it. I grabbed his shoulder to steady him and I was about to stand up and get for him instead with a little spark of lighting caught my attention, and before I could react, a huge gust of wind had knocked me off of my position near the boy, blowing me away and the next thing I felt was a sharp pang of pain that erupted from my rib cage towards the back of my hip.

I groaned, head feeling fuzzy. Out of all them, I was the nearest one next to Eren. Sitting up, I grabbed my sides and looked. In the far distance, I could make out everybody's form on edge. 

Quickly, I stood up, staggering forward and drawing my blades out. Everybody was shouting at the boy, and I saw the look of desperation in his eyes, like he was begging for mercy and understanding.