chapter forty four

044: proud of you

When they had finished talking inside, I was by the side of my horse, feeding the animal with hay I had found by the side cabins. The grounds were quiet for the most part, save for the occasional chirping of evacuating birds and short neighs of the horses.

Hange didn't look all to well at the fact of Shadis' revelation. I had known from then before that she held high respect towards the man, so her disappointment seemed to root from that itself, still I chose not to comment on it for now.

Eren looked a little alleviated than earlier, I had guessed the pep talk helped him, and the information about his father did somehow enlighten his being. He wasn't the only one who felt a bit lighter after having heard about their father for so long. 

"So..." Levi starts when we start mounting our horses to retreat back to the camp. "L/n." The drawl he left on my last name made me roll my eyes. 

"Don't start, Ackerman." I pursed my lips, mounting my own horse and following after the young cadets. "This isn't a place I would like to squabble about family ties." 

He nodded, albeit looking a bit skeptical but nonetheless complied with my command. 

When we returned, the new recruits from other regiments who decided to switch over to the Corps took over our horses. I loosened the belt around my coat before turning away from the group as the youngsters headed for their own quarters. 

"I'm going to write a report about what we gathered today. Erwin might call for a meeting later with Zachary and Pixis, so I'll give you a heads up on that, plus the follow up for the troop captains in regards to preparation is tomorrow." Hange states, her mood had shifted ever since her little outbreak with the Commandant earlier, but pointing it out would only result to her denying it.

"Thanks, Hange." I muttered, watching her walk away. Moblit was easy to spot as he was immediately the first to greet his superior, noticing the difference in her demeanor immediately.

"Moblit and Hange seem like a good pair, yeah?" I muttered absentmindedly to Levi. He took a small glance in the direction I was looking at before he shrugged. 

"He keeps four eyes in check." he only commented making me shrug. 

When we returned to our room, there was an unwarranted silence, a quiet atmosphere I didn't like and didn't want to have. Levi was over his own part of the room, and I settled in my own bed, we didn't look at each other, but he spoke. 

"Is now a good time to bring up the fact that you're last name is L/n?" he starts, making me scoff at the subtle tease in his choice of words. 

"Honestly, fuck you." I muttered.

"Would you really want to?" he faces me, pouring a cup of tea from the table by the corner of the room, where his famed collection of tea leaves sit. His face was deadpanned, which made it all the more annoying. "I'm teasing." he highlights.

"You're face doesn't make it look like it." I comment, and he all but sips his cup. 

I heaved a breathe, before slumping in my seat as I readjusted the buttons of my clothes. "My dad was a Captain of his own squad." I start, knowing he wouldn't stop pestering me if I didn't speak about it. Though, Levi did look a bit caught off when he took a glance at me.

"Seems like it." 

An empty silence again, and I waited for a question, anything from him. 

"I don't want you to talk about your father if you don't want to." Levi starts. My mouth hung upon at his words, and I looked away.