chapter one

001: we got her

The heaving of my chest didn't stop when I halted. Screams from officers earlier soon died down, along with the progression of the day.

I held the small sack filled with crusted goods I had managed to "borrow" once again from that shitty overpricing merchant across a few houses down the main street. My beat up scarf danced along with the wind, a brief breeze passing by. The cloth covered half of my face and the top of my head, like a little mask to provide me a disguise.

I chuckled, happy that this little food heist was once again a success, there was something so exhilarating whenever I was being chased down by those half assed police clowns. It was liberating whenever I would hop from one bricked roof to another.

"Lovely day for a morning chase, indeed" I mummbled, though it came out more as a grumble under the strains of the fabric that wrapped my mouth.

Scanning the vicinity for a good place to finally munch on the goods I had stowed, my eyes landed on a bunch of kids. Dirty, beaten and abandoned by the sidewalk. It was a perfect view from above the building to spot them.

A soft pain quenched in my heart at the site. Due to my upbringing, I wasn't very expressive with my own thoughts but I wasn't heartless.

For years, I had managed to survive by actually just stowing and stealing from unfair shop keepers and shitty merchants. It was not an honorable life to live yes, but what could so much as a kid left alone to fend for herself do? I was left with no option but to resort to unethical ways inorder to survive and having no influence whatsoever.

And with what happened almost three years ago, with Shigansina district being breached, humanity was only pushed into a corner once more. It was a petty excuse, I guess, but with that matter, I had no other choice but to continue with my ways just to fill my own stomach.

The soles of my boots landed with a hard thud against the pavement, a small stinging pain growing underneath my feet.

One of the child's eyes meet mine and it was both terrifying and pitiful at the same time, because I could see no life in them at all. They looked so lifeless and lost, and with the child's frail figure, I could only assume that they didn't have anything on themselves to afford a meal.

He didn't budge and I didn't say anything when I crouched down in front of his figure. The other girl, which was by his side turned to me, a questioning look on her cute face.

"Take it" I spoke softly, extending my hand out towards the kid, holding the small sack. He looked at me and the bag once more, as if he didn't know what I was talking about.

"Take it and eat. Feed her too" I pointed to the latter, setting the bag down infront of them and straightening my form. A small gasp elicited from the girl's mouth as the boy looked at me in awe, peeking inside the bag before nodding.

My heart swelled. It didn't matter if I didn't even get a single bite from my own stash, I wasn't hungry anyway. At least that was what I told myself so I wouldn't regret the decision of giving everything I had away.

A sound of wires whizzing and a sharp release of gas reached my ears, I turned to look around, spotting blobs of green cloaks, gliding flawlessly amonst the buildings with their familiar gears. A hint of nervousness crept up my spine but I shook it away, reminding myself to keep calm. They didn't know me. They wouldn't recognize me either. No need to be worried.