chapter twelve

012: good night, levi

All of us were currently situated in the big dining hall of the castle, teacups in our hands as we were discussing details and just basically relaxing after a day of cleaning. I was seated in between Gunther and Eld.

"We'll probably be ordered to stand by for a few more days, but I heard we're supposed to be going on a large-scale extramural expedition. And we'll be taking new graduates with us as well" Eld said.

I sipped silently on my tea. Erwin did made mention about it to me privately before we moved to the castle, but he still spared me the details.

"Isn't awfully too soon?" Gunther asked, a look of concern present. "Even considering that they handled this last Titan attack quite well..."

"I heard those kid's needed multiple washings to get rid of shitstains" Olou mumbled arrogantly, making me roll my eyes.

Petra immediately turned to the Captain for his words. "Is this all true, Captain?"

"I'm not involved in making our plans. It's Erwin's job. He's likely considering far more variables that might occur to us" He simply replied.

"It's true that we're currently in an unprecedented situation. On one hand, we lost the Maria reconquest route that we established through huge sacrifices, but on the other hand, we got an unexpected ray of hope." Eld muttered.

All eyes turn to Eren, him tensing up and going stiff at the move.

"Relax, kid. We're not planning anything with ya'" I smiled.

Although Hange might be... my mind trailed off to my good friend who was set to arrive here today too, to further find explanations on her latest experiments with the titans we caught.

"I still can't believe it. You can 'turn into a titan' but what does that exactly mean?" Eld asked.

Eren looked unsure. Like he himself was still finding it hard to believe, too. "My memories from that time are quite hazy. It felt like a selfless, dreaming state. It can be triggered by hurting myself" The boy brought his hand up to his mouth, prompting to bite it.

"Like if I--" he stopped, midway. Eyes widening and looking as if he was just dawning on a realization.

Levi sighed at this, not waiting for him to continue. "You guys already know about this. We couldn't get anymore out of him than what's written in the reports" he brought his teacup to sip, his hands holding them in a very weird position, but one that I had already grown accustomed to, as per usual.

"But she won't stay put though..." he breathed.

He looked towards the boy, gray orbs as cold as steel. "Her meddling could even kill you, Eren"

The threat was effectively scaring the boy. He looked towards me, curiosity and fear crossing his emerald irises. "She? Who?"

I shrugged, wanting to get a tease at scaring him but also giving him a little reassurance. "It'll be fine. Captain's just exaggerating, she can't kill you but she might give you a few lapses of sanity once in a while"

He looked no where related to relieved at my statement. The door created a loud bang from the other side. Levi sighed, knowing very well that Hange was way too excited than what was necessary, but he had no other choice but to put up with that.

Petra stood up, unlocking the wooden entrance.

Hange chuckled and rubbed her forehead when she was revealed to the rest of us. "Good evening, good soldiers of Levi unit! Have you made yourselves at home in the castle?" She said, striding inside the room casually.