chapter thirty one

031: captain? y/n?

"Try not to walk in a cluster. We'll stand out..."  Levi advised, only slightly leaning back to address the others.

"Way ahead of you, Cap..." I answered in a hush tone, straying further ahead from the group and towards the nearby stands, acting as if I was just a roaming citizen. I smiled warmly at one of the vendors who was staring at me walking past him. He look flustered at the act so he immediately looked away, giving me the perfect chance to snag an apple from from his cart.

I flashed him a wink when he looked again before slowly walking behind Sasha. 

"Want an apple?" I asked, taking a bite before handing it to her. 

Her eyes sparkled at this before she accepted the fruit. "Where did you even get this?" she asked. 

"Secret..." I smiled sheepishly before moving forward and blending in again.

As we were entering the heart of the city where the citizens where all gathered around, the crowd started getting bigger than anticipated, which was actually an advantage as it could help us hide more efficiently from the watchers. 

"Why is the royal family's flag hanging everywhere?" Conny asked looking around. 

"Oh! Today must be the anniversary of the King's coronation. Once a year, they hand out a haul of rations." Sasha answered.

I snorted at this. "At least the royal government is actually doing something..." I wasn't really a big fan of the government, specially not after the whole fiesta of the wall being breached five years ago. I've never even seen them do something so actively ever since...

"What a king! He sure is generous." Sasha marveled.

I snorted again. "I fucking bet he is..." I replied albeit sarcastically before moving again. 

"He's got more than he knows what to do with." Levi answered shortly before we started to move on again. "People are weak, especially when baited with food."

I couldn't help but agree with his words, nodding my head up and down before following after him, watching Levi turn his head around ever once in a while to subtly check the surrounding. I smiled, to myself, seeing him in this state somehow made my heart churn, in a way that I actually liked.

He paused, making me halt my thoughts as his eyes suddenly sharpened. Like he knew something was coming up.

"Watch out! Behind us." he called over.

The sounds of approaching hooves finally became louder, and by instinct, I immediately staggered backward to avoid whatever was approaching, grabbing those who are closest to me along, which was Conny and Sasha.

"Armin--" Sasha almost called over but I shut her off, clasping my hand over her mouth to stop her.

The disguises were apparently effective since they believed that Jean and Armin were indeed Eren and Historia. This cured my thought that those who are in pursuit of us are incredibly desperate, but truly inexperienced as they were easily fooled with a level one disguise. It almost made me cackle. 

"Let's move..." Levi ordered as Mikasa was already quick on her feet to follow through the plan. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We sat at the roof of the supposed hideout, where the pursuers who kidnapped Jean and Armin disguised as Eren and Historia stored the them. I hummed silently as I sat beside Levi who was currently overlooking the whole scenery before us.