Ch 25 - Captured? Captivated? (part 2)

A/n - *bows deeply* Enjoy your reading and leave your comments accordingly.

Jiang FengMian's POV

A man with a weathered straw hat was looking at the Yiling Teahouse. The fabrics of his garments were common but served their purpose, which is to provide warmth. "You're at Yiling town? When did this happen?"

"A few days after we parted ways on Yiling mountain." Answered Wei WuXian, letting himself being engulfed in Lan WangJi's hug from behind. Lan WangJi whispered something which pleased Wei WuXian, but the smile didn't reach his eyes.

I turned around to witness my adopted son caught by Wen ZhuLiu and thrown onto the floor. The beating they dealt him was demeaning and I have a hard time not strangling the arrogant young Wen.

"Did you hear someone talking? I only heard barking sounds," even after several rounds of near-death beating, his sharp wit stayed true.

Never once did he beg for his safety as they were airborne and Wen Chao conveyed his punishment. He does look scared and for a second struggled to escape but that was his survival instinct. His soul and spirit were tenacious and unyielding.

Madam Yu's POV

The fall feels longer than it should. Wei WuXian free-falling from a very high place without anything around him to aid or to offer hope to survive. Suddenly he halted from falling, floating like the cloud.

Wei WuXian was surprised and he hesitantly glanced at his hand and he barely able to distinguish black tendrils wrapping around him. The way he was suspended in the air and those tendrils shooting up from below as if welcoming his presence.

A few tendrils wrapped around his neck and he plunged downwards. The cracking sounds of his bones breaking as he fell on wild grassy land was surreal. It would be expected to see a bone or two protruding out of his flesh. Luckily, that wasn't the case.

It's cruel but he still conscious and the various screaming of unknown source was provoking him and promising him revenge. Wei WuXian lwas lying unresponsive saved for breathing.

He seems successful in ignoring those tempting offers, until those deafening screaming sounds familiar.

"Wei Ying," I promptly glanced at the two hugging beside my husband. Wei WuXian had long turned around in the hug and buried his face in Lan WangJi's chest. "Wei Ying!"

Jin GuangShan's POV

Indulging in nightly activities which mostly involved music and pleasures, I always view music as less manly cultivation skills. Wielding weapons such as sword, bow and arrows, lance, and whip always parade a person's masculinity and attract countless beauty.

Knowledgeable in music and literature always come hand in hand with pacifism. The perfect examples are Gusu Lan Sect disciples. It's irrefutable that they could wield their swords just as they could play their tunes, yet they're too strict, too cold and seems inappropriate for others to get close.

At the moment, it was eye-opening to witness Wei WuXian played a melody to control resentment energy. The fascination of seeing resentment energy obeying the melody was exhilarating.

For instance, I could envision myself and my clan disciples to wield such ability and become the best among the best. My clan's wealth was not a secret though I'm suspecting the Lan Clan was not very far behind. My clan's sword and archery skills at par with the Jiang clan. If only ...

"Don't think about it," Wei WuXian quietly warned and managing to sound harsh even as he practically hiding in Lan WangJi's arms.

The eerie melody lingering for a while, long after the ghostly lady in red disappeared.

Lan XiChen's POV

'This is Unclean Realm,' I can see the remnant of a recent battle that happened outside the massive gate surrounding the Unclean Realm. Dead trees occupied by herring and crows. Abandoned swords and broken arrows littered the ground.

Jiang Cheng had been leading their ride anxiously with Wei WuXian beside him and Lan WangJi at the rear.

"Where can I find shijie?" Jiang Cheng blinked several times looking at the slightly pale and weary face of Wei WuXian. It was a drastic change since they parted in Yiling.

"She should be helping the injured. Lan WangJi and I will go and report to clan Leader Nie." They dismounted their horses and was pulling the rein to guide their horses to the attendances.

Wei WuXian nodded understand. He anxiously watching both of them walked out from his sight before he left to search for his sister. His eyes fleetingly watching the casualty of the war, searching for the petite figure of his lovely sister.

Groaning and moaning of pains welcoming him along the way until he noticed a graceful movement amongst the awful and gory details of the war casualties. A young lady was treating a man with wound made by arrow, her back facing Wei WuXian.

"Shijie," it was very soft but my sharp hearing could hear the trembling that accompanies Wei WuXian's voice.

Nie MingJue's POV

Another session of empathy was done. This time, the effect was closer to his heart. The events he saw happening in the Unclean Realm was surprisingly made him feel restless. He might be harsh and seems brute with people around him, but he still cares about their well being. He's not heartless, this he can say with confident.

'All these years, I thought my life are harsh,' I looked up at Lan WangJi, busy looking after the other young man, Wei WuXian. 'Compare to my experiences, mine as if walking in the overgrown garden,'

Wei WuXian was awake, although his appearance look sickly and he barely able to sit without support. I raised an eyebrow the moment Lan WangJi took out a bottle of wine from his sleeve.

"Emperor's Smile in Cloud Recesses, Lan WangJi?" I teased not caring if I sounded out of character. Yet, the widely known wine never drink by Lan WangJi, but Wei WuXian.

"Would you like to join me, clan Leader Nie?" Asked Wei WuXian sassily after he took a few sips. Nie MingJue raised an eyebrow, glancing at Lan WangJi to check for his reaction, which merely a faint smile as he engaged in private conversation with his elder brother.

"I would if it's not breaking the law of Gusu Lan Sect." Replied Nie MingJue with a smirk.

"I believe in this situation, could warrant a few rounds of drinks to cope." Lan XiChen and Lan WangJi both nodded their agreement.

"How ... How did you survived with intact sanity?"

"I never claimed so," replied Wei WuXian. "Nightmares plagued my nights, while weariness occupied my bad days," added Wei WuXian ambiguous and slurred slightly.

___________________________________________

A/n - Pray I'll be surrounded by muses.

Published (9/5/2021)
1015 words

Re-edited (24 October 2021)
1125 words