Ch. 3 - Fated

Lan WangJi was walking toward the Library Pavilion when someone jumped down from a tree and landed right in front of him. The young man brushed off leaves from his disciple robes, before straightening his posture. With elegance and strict manner, he bows. "Good morning, HanGuang-Jun," a brilliant smile accompanied the enthusiastic greeting.

"Good morning, Young Master Wei," replied Lan WangJi graciously. His golden-brown eyes regard the young man, barely keeping in check of his feeling. Wind made his charcoal black hair swaying, a sweet fragrance that saturated the air reminds Lan WangJi of loquat.

Purposefully, Wei WuXian moved to stand beside Lan WangJi and gestures slightly. Lan WangJi turned his focus to the path in front of him and continued his interrupted stride alongside Wei WuXian. They have been walking in silent until Wei WuXian tilted his head to stare at Lan WangJi sideways.

"I'm hoping to get more guidance from you, HanGuang-Jun," Wei WuXian blabbered, unable to keep silent for long.

"Likewise, I've heard a lot about you. Your reputation as the head senior disciple of YunMeng Jiang Sect is far and wide." apprised Lan WangJi. Without taking a peek, he knows that the teenager's features adorned with a gratifying smile.

"Still, can't be compared to you," replied Wei WuXian cheekily, and after a few seconds, "Lan er-gege," continued Wei WuXian under his breath, unaware that Lan WangJi's sharp hearing caught every single words and he halted his steps. Realising that Lan WangJi was no longer walking beside him, Wei WuXian frowned and turned to look at his companion. Their eyes locked as something registered in those composed and calm facade of Lan WangJi.

'Wei Ying...?'

"A-Xian! Where are you?" Jiang YanLi was calling from some other part of the lavish garden. Wei WuXian's eyes travel far to the east, catching his lovely adopted sister's figure.

"You better go ... It's late," advised Lan WangJi, even as his heart feels too hung up to be parted so soon.

"You're right ... I'll see you again," an image of a brilliant smile perfectly captured in Lan WangJi's mind. Lan WangJi kept looking at the young man's posterior until he truly disappeared.

'You're here too.' Feeling impetus, Lan WangJi continued to Library Pavilion. He needed distraction before he blows his covers.

"So, you're friend with Young Master Wei," a disquisition greeted him as he joined his brother in front of the Library Pavilion. Lan WangJi acknowledged his brother by nodding but totally disregarded his inquiry. Lan XiChen chuckled, at the familiar behaviour from his younger brother. "He looks docile, compared to the rumours I've heard," remarked the Gusu Lan Sect leader casually.

"Hmm," grunted Lan WangJi before he took his place behind the writing table and started with his calligraphy.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*

'Inquiry'
.
.
.

Those who understood the use of 'Inquiry' will often wonder the reason Second Young Master Lan always play 'Inquiry' lately. He has been renowned for his talent in playing guqin ... but to choose 'Inquiry' as his favourite piece of music, it's bewildered. Lan QiRen even voiced this out to Lan XiChen one day, as he noticed that after Lan WangJi had mastered the piece, he still playing it frequently. It's bordering obsession.

"It's worrying that WangJi keeps playing 'Inquiry'," stated Lan QiRen while he was taking a sip from his teacup.

Lan XiChen poured some tea into his cup. "He confessed that 'Inquiry' makes him feel at peace," Lan XiChen took a sip of his tea.

"Anything that troubles him? Is it ... that Wei brat!?" Lan QiRen as usual, quick to jump into conclusion.

"Wei WuXian? I don't think so," the elder sibling smile in amusement, as he recalls seeing a respectful version of the Young Master Wei that his uncle prejudiced against.

"It's hard to say ... seeing as WangJi is too quiet and hard to read," uttered Lan QiRen grudgingly.

*_*_*_*_*_*

Wei WuXian's dream

As he was watching, when those walking corpses wobbled to about twenty meters ahead of them, as they finally noticed himself, they were so terrified that they immediately turned around to retreat, their speed two or three times faster than when they came over.

-

-
-

"How? There's no door." a voice echoing.

There really wasn't a door. The grey-white stones were stuck tightly together, without any space for doors or windows. The dog yelped as it leapt. It seemed as if it wanted to bite the corner of Lan WangJi's robes, but didn't dare to, so it went around him to bite my clothes instead, tugging me in a certain direction.

My soul almost flew out of my body. I extended my arms toward Lan WangJi, "Lan Zhan... Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan... Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan!!!"

-
-
-

The noise came from all around them. The voices involved both male and female, old and young, loud and quiet. I could even hear a few fragmented sentences, but they came and went, not allowing me to catch any specific words.

It really was too loud.

_
_
_

"Speaking of it, since when have you been so close to Lan WangJi?"

Jiang Cheng smiled menacingly,

" How could someone so celebrated for his righteousness tolerate the likes of you? Maybe he's familiar with this body that you stole instead."

I couldn't bear with it any longer, I hiss, "Watch your language."

-
-
-

Dream end

#########

Wei WuXian opened his eyes and turns to the right, to see the first light of the day. He takes a deep breath, trying to calm his fraying nerves. He's been dreaming those fragments of dreams for days now. He can't make any head or tail, as he couldn't understand those dreams. Convinced it to hold essential meaning, he didn't impart those dream to another soul.

'Even as a dream ... They feel so vivid,'

Glancing at the still-dark sky outside, he decides to meditate. If any of his fellow disciples from YunMeng Jiang Sect happens to be on the scene, they'll be astounded. Wei WuXian meditating like saying Gusu Lan Sect not strict with their rules.

Nevertheless, it goes without saying that Wei WuXian knew how to meditate. He only chooses not to meditate most of the time. As Yunmeng Jiang Sect residence's most mischievous disciple, he need to uphold the title for as long as he able to do so.

-----~~------~~------~~------~~------~~------~~-----

A/n - Thank you for waiting. Any comments or suggestions, let me know.

Published (1030 words)