Ch. 2 - Tranquility

In the Jingshi in the Cloud Recesses, the sound of the guqin was long.

It was ... 'Inquiry'

                          **#**#**#**

Cloud Recesses as usual shrouded in thick fog. All the guest disciples are still resting as it's too early compared to their normal wake up time. Especially for Wei WuXian, since he just turned in for sleep 4 hours ago.

It was different story for Gusu Lan Sect disciples. 5 o'clock or at the crack of dawn, they were getting up to do their meditation and early morning prayer.

Afterwards, they'll be joining with the guest disciples for breakfast and morning classes, follow up with lunch.
Afternoon classes will be diversity, in accordance with each disciples interest, such as archery, culinary and artistry. There also a rare few who study herbs and spices for medicine.

                            __£__£__£__

Lan XiChen has been sitting in the eating hall for more than 15 minutes, but his younger brother, Lan WangJi still didn't appear.

"WangJi is here, Uncle?" The elder Twin Jades of Lan inquiry master Lan QiRen softly. He was worried that his younger brother didn't interact enough with his peers from other sects.

"None have left the Cloud Recesses," answered Lan QiRen curtly.

"I'll go find him, then." Lan XiChen excused himself and left the hall. He smiled warmly all the way and occasionally replied greetings from others. After all, he was recognised by many as Zewu-Jun, the elder Twin Jade of Lan also as the Clan Leader of Gusu Lan Sect.

Any other time, the Jingshi was always surrounds with peaceful, however, as Lan XiChen passing through the fence surrounding the compound, he can feel slight disturbance in the air. He stays rooted by the gate for a while.

'This...is resentment...?'

Lan XiChen didn't waste any more time, quickly he climbed up a few steps of the staircase leading to the main door of Jingshi. He knocked several times but after a few minutes, he forced his way inside and the scene he encountered was unsettling.

Lan WangJi is still lying on the bed, albeit it already passes the time for him to normally be awake. The slight resentment he felt definitely from his younger brother. There's also light sheen of sweat on Lan WangJi's alabaster visage.

Noticing Wangji on the table, Lan XiChen approaches intended to strum the 'Sound of Clarity'. He only have a younger brother and he sworn to protect him with his capabilities.

*~*~*

A note of zither lingering, Lan WangJi finally stirring from his slumber.
"Brother...?" Clear golden brown eyes looked up. Lan XiChen exhaled the breath that he unconsciously hold in his chest. His precious younger brother will be alright. Gracefully Lan XiChen rises up.

"You didn't turn up for breakfast," exclaimed Lan XiChen to scold the teenager, but it sounded more like he was sulking. He realised his younger brother also heard it so, once he saw the amusement glinting in those autumn coloured eyes. Stiffly, Lan WangJi supported his body to sit on the bed.

"I'm not feeling too well last night, didn't realize it might be escalated..." Lan WangJi dropped his gaze, feeling ashamed of misjudged his own body condition. Lan XiChen observes his younger brother for a few moments.

"There was a slight present of resentment here when I came ... I was worried that you have been hurt," Lan XiChen confessed, looking truly worried. There's no trace of a smile.

"... Resentment ... ?" asked Lan WangJi softly as he stared at his guqin. Faintly, he recalls a dream ... of a situation where resentment energy exploded. The overwhelming feeling of worry, anger and sadness.

'Dream ... or ... was it my memory ... ?'

The urge to play 'Inquiry' is getting stronger by the minute. Thus, Lan WangJi approaches his guqin. Lan XiChen joined his brother, listening to the skills that sound years of practice when he knows well his younger brother just learned the score last week.

"Why do you suddenly strumming 'Inquiry' ?" Lan XiChen asks wondering of his younger brother thought.

"For clarity," offered Lan WangJi as a matter of fact.

"Have you mistaken 'Inquiry' with 'Sound of Clarity' ?"

" 'Inquiry' provides tranquillity... to my mind, heart and soul." Admitted Lan WangJi, a corner of his lips lifted, in a tiny smile. Lan XiChen blinks and the tiny smile has vanished.

The Clan Leader of Gusu Lan Sect heaves a sigh. 'I could handle a troop of army, but why it have to be so difficult and confusing when it comes to you, WangJi?'

-----~~------~~------~~------~~------~~------~~-----

N/a - I'll appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Published (747 words)