Ch 18 - Now or never

"Do you have any idea why uncle and aunt were invited to Cloud Recesses?" Wei Ying absentmindedly asked while he was inspecting his clothes. He tried his best to ignore, but lately his conscience made him feel guilty if he didn't act proper.

"I was not informed, Wei Ying," Lan Zhan walked in tandem, watching out for Wei Ying as he preoccupied with their conversation than where he stepped on.

"Hmm ... Wait, does it have something to do with us?" Wei WuXian speculated, when something came to his mind. "Does your brother aware of your intention to be marry me?"

"Not yet," answered Lan Zhan short.

"Aren't you supposed to ask for your brother's permission first?" Asked Wei WuXian incredulous at Lan WangJi's attitude over the matter.

"It's not important."

"Lan Zhan ... you've broken too many rules lately. Are you ... really my HanGuang-Jun?" An eyebrow raised, as Wei WuXian eyeing the young man walking beside him.

"I want to keep you somewhere safe," confessed Lan WangJi slightly gloomy.

"Why don't you?" Wei WuXian pried more into the matter.

"It's impossible ... I can't confine you without making you miserable," the reply brought a smile to Wei WuXian's lips.

"You're right ... I, myself wish that I can leave all these worrying worldly affairs,"
Assented Wei WuXian with sympathy.

"If breaking all those rules could serves to shield you from hurting, I would do it, Wei Ying," confessed Lan WangJi with conviction.

"I only want you to love me, to care for me ... That's all I want. Those thousands of rules won't bother me as long as you're with me," reminded Wei WuXian, in order to reassure the young man beside him that rules and people's thoughts not something they should put on weight for too much. They will fight to their best not to repeat the same mistake.

"Hmm,"

_-_-_

"I can't seem to forget that Wei WuXian was nearly drown by waterfall in Cloud Recesses." Lan XiChen raised an eyebrow at his guest.

"It's been a few days ago, ChiFeng-Jun. Why do you still hung up on that?" pouring tea into cups, Lan XiChen silently persuade his guest to join him at the table.

"I've heard that Wei WuXian's cultivator level is quite high."

"He might be on same level with WangJi," admitted Lan XiChen, curious with the sudden change of topic.

"He also been living in YunMeng since very young ... Renown as one of the senior disciples of Jiang sect." Lan XiChen smiles, realized of his hasty mistake. He should have known that his  sworn brother, ChiFeng-Jun is as obsessed as a dog with its bone.

"You're getting there, ChiFeng-Jun," Lan XiChen teasingly encouraging his fellow Clan Leader. Sadly, his teasing was totally ignored by the oblivious Nie MingJue.

"Something unusual must have caught him off guard," continued Nie MingJue unaware of the amusement he provided.

"You're right, they do owe me some explanation. Hence this meeting was initiated."

"So, they're here after all?"

"Don't worry, I've been informed that they're making their way here."

"The problem is you're not sure when they're going to arrive or where they are," Nie MingJue pointed out.

"It seems they're not fond of being tracked,"

_-_-_

Their walks towards Jingshi was uneventful. "Should we pay visit to your ancestor, Lan Zhan?" asked Wei WuXian once he saw the fence surrounding Jingshi.

"Mmm," they walked pass Jingshi, towards the Cold Spring Cave.

"Now is around the same time she finally left, right?" Asked Wei WuXian again, as he calculating and rearranging events that occurred prior to the miserable turning points in their lives.

"Don't think too much," admonished Lan WangJi softly as he was maneuring his companion's steps through the uneven terrain.

"Lan Zhan ... We need to gather all details before we starts any discussion. I don't want them to rush into making any assumption or decision."

"You and I will make sure they won't,"

"Yes, if we are aware of each and every decisions that will be made." Argued Wei WuXian anxiously.

"Remember, Wei Ying ... There bound to be some events that were meant to be happen,"

"I could try to change it, right?"

"Of course ... But there will be consequence," reminded Lan WangJi shortly. He didn't need to elaborate more. Wei WuXian was well aware of how events could affect people.

"You sure you want to have this visit?"

"We're family, Lan Zhan," Wei WuXian interlaced their hands and walking through the cave entrance. Lan WangJi content to follow his magnificent other lead.

_-_-_

The humid air doesn't bother most living things that occupying the huge cavern. It always different case for Wen Chao. He couldn't stand to be in the spacious hall.

"It seems that the younger Lan Jade is fond of Wei WuXian,"

"He even accompanied the servant's son to visit Jiang sect in YunMeng." reported Wen Chao.

"Really now?" a haughty expression "I remembered a rumour saying that the younger Lan Jade truly embrace the title given upon him,"

"Rumours could be deceiving,"

"That's true ... Words could be double edges sword and if you master it, it might serve you well."

"I'll remember your advice,"

"Observe them and relay any changes,"

"Yes,"

___________________________________________

A/n - It's been long since I've updated. I am hoping everyone out there are doing well. Take care of yourself and your family. Practice proper hygiene and precautions. Mind social distancing, but don't forget to be friendly. There are many ways to be connected with people around us. Use your knowledge wisely and we all can survive this challenging time. 🥰🥰

Revised & Published (7/6/2020)
869 words