I Won't Be A Hurdle

Mallika

Time doesn't wait for anyone. This is so damn true. Time flies very fast. It's been two years already I have joined this college. It's been two years to that incident, it's been two years since I have met Sumedh. Now look I'm ending 5th semester of my medical degree and he completing all his semesters.
Just a month left and after that he'll be having internships. We can hardly meet then.

By just remembering this, I'm feeling so low. He has been with me everytime. He supported me always. He does it now too. What will happen to me when he would pursue higher studies? I can't forbid him from reaching his dream. I can't be his hurdle. What I have to be is his strength. I have to be. I will.

There comes a beep sound on my phone. It was a message from Sumedh.

Can I call you? Are you free?

It said.

Instead of texting him, I called him directly.
"Mallika, I would have called you. Why did you call?"
"Sumedh, tell me what's the matter?"
"Can we meet? Can we meet in my secret place? That place on the hill?"
"Okay. Today evening sharp 5"
"I will be waiting for you Mallika."

.........

"Mallika"
She just hummed, still not able to meet his gaze.
"Mallika, look at me. Look at my eyes."
She looked up to meet his gaze.

Both, sitting on a big boulder, facing each other in their secret place which held the view of the whole city, radiating its beauty.

"Just one more month left, after that my internship would start."
"I know."
"Mallika, look at your gloomy face. You eyes say it very clearly that you are going to miss me."
"Why will I?"
"Oh, really."
"Sumedh, I won't miss you." I said turning away from him unable to with hold my emotion.
"Mallika, look at me." he held my chin, turned me towards him.

"I know it would be difficult, for you, infact, for both of us. But I'm helpless. I have to do. Or else, my whole degree, my whole struggle and hardwork of four and half years would go in vain."
"Sumedh, I never in my whole life wish to become a hurdle between you and your goals."
"I know." said he and opened his arms.

What am I supposed to do? Oh yeah, I have to hug him.
I hugged him tightly, feeling his breaths, feeling his heart beats upon my cheeks.

"Mallika, we have one more month. I want to spend as much time with you. I want to create so much memories with you that I can cherish them for next one year."
"Sumedh, we will. But, among these things one more thing is important. It's your studies. You have to do well in your final semester end exams. This one will be your life changer."
"Yes, I will."

Sumedh's phone started to ring, making us to come out of trance.

"Yeah, Ma. Tell me."

I don't know what aunty said, the peace on his face changed into agitation.

"Okay, I'll come within few minutes."
Said he. I don't know what has happened?!

"Mallika, bhabhi is not well. I guess, I need to go." said he. I don't know why, I'm feeling apprehended.
"Sumedh, can I join you?"
"Okay."

.........

"Listen, Mr. Vedant, you don't need to worry. She will be having few mood swings but not now, after few more weeks. But she must be taken extra care. Infact, she should be pampered."
said the Doctor, when I just entered the cabin with Sumedh.

Wait, was he saying about mood swings?! Di is...I mean...Di is pregnant?
Shhh! First listen carefully and after that, come to a conclusion.

"So, Mrs.Rajshree Chandra, take care of your daughter-in-law. She must be pampered. Make sure there's no emotional pressure upon her."
"Yeah, Doctor."
"I have to say one more thing. She may have complications as the weeks pass, since she's a bit weak. So, she must be given proper food and nutritional supplements. I'll make a chart and you please follow according to it."

"Thank you Doctor." said Jiju and we left the cabin.
Jiju went inside the ward and Ma, I mean, Sumedh's mother came to us.
"Mallika, nice to see you. You have come at the right moment. Your Di is pregnant."

Yes, yes...I'm happy, very happy. My happiness has no bounds today. My Di is pregnant and I will be Maasi.

I just looked at Sumedh who too was smiling whole heartedly. He looked up to me and we both shared a deep smile, conveying our happiness to each other.
"Mallika, congratulations."
"Congratulations to you too Sumedh."

He just came near me, whispered,
"Congratulations Chikki(Chachi)." Making me blush. Oh gosh!! One day I'll die blushing.
I too whispered into his ears, "Congratulations Chikku(Chachu)."

I cannot control my happiness now, I just want to run and hug my Di.
We both went inside the ward, where in Di was in Jiju's embrace. Sumedh knocked the door. They both parted.

I just ran off, hugged my Di tightly.
"Di, I love you, I love you. I'm so happy for you."
"Mallika, calm down. I guess you are more excited compared to me." said Di.
"I am."

Sumedh, patted on my shoulders, and I got up from the bed. He too gave a hug to Di, "Congratulations bhabhi"

"So, are you both ready to become babysitters?" asked Jiju.
"Ofcourse." we both said in unison.
This was enough to make everyone present there to laugh.

                          .................

A/N:

Hey people!!
This chapter is just like a filler for the upcoming chapters. Upcoming chapters will be having a lot of drama.

Even though this book is mainly in English language, I may use few Hindi, Kannada, Tamil, Marathi, Telugu and Punjabi words depending on my mood and story requirements.
The only reason behind is that I respect each and every language. I love to learn as many languages.

So, stay tuned for next chapter. May be tomorrow?! I don't know.

Do vote and comment your reviews.

💛❤