Mama

Days passed by so quickly and things were going just fine for Jieun. Somehow, her work schedule made it possible for her to spend more time looking for an extra job, but she was having diffuculties finding one. She needed more money to save for Beomgyu's college. She tried to apply to every vacant part-time occupation she could find near her apartment, but it was not that easy.

It was her day off at work when she decided to take a walk around the street in hopes of finding some establishments hiring part-time employees. As she passed by a small flower shop, she happened to spot a sign.

"Perfect!" Jieun whispered to herself after reading what was posted on the sign. The shop was looking for a florist.

She instantly entered the flower shop where a small lady, who happened to be the owner, was arranging a vase of pretty daisies. Jieun politely approached her and asked if she was still looking for a florist.

"Yes, dear. Are you willing to apply?" She stopped what she was doing and took her time looking at Jieun.

"Yes, ma'am. My name is Lee Jieun. I live nearby and I also work as a part-time barista. I'm a bread winner and I really need an additional job so it would be a great help if you hire me as your florist, ma'am."

"You seem to be a well-mannered lady. By the way, do you have any background or experience with flower arrangement?"

Jieun was caught off guard with the lady's question. She forgot to say that this field was something new to her.

"Unfortunately, I haven't done any kind of flower arrangement yet. But I can assure you that I can easily learn how to do it. I'm willing to learn everything about this job. Please ma'am, I really need it."

"Okay, let's see. How about I give you a week to learn and if you pass my test, I'll hire you?"

"Yes, ma'am. That would be perfect. Thank you!"

"Okay, come back here on Monday and I'll teach you the basics." The old woman smiled, amused at Jieun who was doing tiny bows before her.

Jieun left the flower shop feeling accomplished. She was happily dancing at the street accross the flower shop out of happiness. Suddenly, she felt strange after a while. Jieun sensed that she was like being watched so she stopped for a while to check if there was someone around. When she found no one, she continued her tiny dance while walking on her way home.

"What the—"

Yoongi stopped his motorcycle when he saw a familiar figure doing small dance steps on the other side of the street. He finally noticed that it was her. It was Jieun.

He wondered what the lady was doing at that place since she was all alone and just having fun by herself. Not long after, she seemed to be looking for someone. Yoongi tried to keep himself hidden from her sight.

He was probably delighted each time he watches her being this goofy that he almost forgot where he was heading to.

"Ah yes, the flower shop."

Seeing Jieun walk away from the spot where she was dancing, Yoongi slowly walked towards the shop, bringing his motorcycle with him. Peeking through the window and finding the busy lady smelling the roses she was holding, Yoongi decided to open the shop's door.

"Eomma."

"Yoongi?!"

The woman dropped the stems of the fresh flowers on the table and hurriedly ran to meet Yoongi. She hugged the man for a long while, small traces of tears filled the corner of her eyes.

"My baby!" She hugged him again, then suddenly, she stopped and hit his head.

"Ahh! Eomma what was that for?"

"You brat! Where have you been? You're going around causing troubles again?"

"Eomma I don't do that anymore. I'm a grown up man now."

"Grown up?" She hit her son's head again. "Your father keeps on calling me. He's looking for you! Did the two of you fight again?"

"I left the mansion." Yoongi went serious.

"What?"

"I left them. I hate it there. I feel like a prisoner."

"But Yoongi. Didn't I tell you? You need to stay there."

"Why? So that they can keep me as their puppet? Eomma. I hate it there. I know they all hate me too."

"You know it's for your own good. You have to be a good son."

"I can be a good son if I have a good father." Yoongi sat on one of the empty chairs facing his mother. "Eomma. He was never a father to me. He treats me like one of his slaves."

"You just need to be patient, son. It's for your future. You're his one and only son and time will come he'll transfer the company in your name."

"You know I'm not interested in any of those, eomma. I just wanted to be free. It's not easy to feel free around people who look down on me...on us."

"You have to bear it. Yoongi, you know I can't give you a bright future. I'm just a—"

"A what? A mistress? This is the reason why I wanted to stay away from them. His wife, that witch. She treats me like shit. She keeps on calling you names and I swear if I stayed there a little longer, I could kill her!"

"We have to accept the fact that I'm nothing but a mistress. But you, you're his own blood. You're his son and I know that he loves you. Please, son. Just come back to the mansion. Do it for me."

Yoongi got up from his seat and headed to the door. Before he could leave, he handed his mother an envelope.

"I'm sorry, eomma. I can't. I'm going to live my life the way I know I deserve to. I'm gonna prove to them that I can become successful on my own."

After Yoongi left, his mother checked the contents of the envelope. There she found a bundle of money and a note wrapped around it.

"Don't sell the shop. We can do this. You're going to be proud of your son soon."