The Truth Untold

"Jieun, I need to tell you something."

"What is it, Yoongi?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't keep my promise to you anymore."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm leaving, Jieun. I don't know when I'll be able to see you again."

"What? No! Don't leave me!"

"Who is it this time, noona?"

Jieun looked around and realized what was happening. It was all just a dream. Another dream.

She tried to recall everything, including what happened the other night, thinking if it was also part of the series of dreams she was having. She felt like she's been sleeping for days that she got confused which was real and which was not.

"Oh well, I don't think you're gonna answer me anyway. I'm going to school now, noona. Maybe you should get up and try to find that someone you don't want to leave you in your dreams."

Jieun just stared at her brother until he left her room. She was still feeling lost, but she tried to think again. Suddenly, she heard her phone beep. She opened it and found a message from him...from the person who's been part of her dream for months now.

Yoongi:
Good morning, Jieun.

"That's it?" She was again confused. Her eyes then found one unopened message that Yoongi sent her the other night.

Yoongi:
I hope I wasn't too straightforward. I didn't mean to pressure you or anything, I just want to let you know what I'm feeling.

Little by little, Jieun recalled what happened, from that time when Yoongi saved her from Namjoon to the moment when they talked at the coffee shop.

"Jieun, I need to tell you something."

"If it's about Namjoon or anything related to him, please, I don't want to hear it." Jieun slowly removed her hand away from Yoongi.

"Of course it's not about him. Jieun, there's nothing to worry now, okay?"

Jieun let out a heavy sigh. Everything still felt like a nightmare for her. But as she looked at the man beside her, all the fear she felt earlier slowly faded.

"Then what is it, Yoongi?"

"Uh...I think I forgot what I wanted to tell you." Yoongi looked away, not even glancing a bit at the lady.

"Seriously?" Jieun immediately got up from her seat. "It's almost two in the morning, Yoongi. Let's just go home. I'm tired."

Before Jieun could take a step, Yoongi took her hand again. Jieun paused and faced the man.

"Okay. Here goes nothing." Yoongi whispered to himself.

Jieun just stared at Yoongi, waiting for him to speak.

"Jieun, I like you."

"You...you like me?" Jieun pointed to herself, her face in full disbelief.

"Yes." He awkwardly scratched the back of his head. "I don't know how it all started, but it's been like this for quite some time now. I thought I just wanted to protect you because you're my friend, but everything that happened today made me realize it's more than that. Jieun, you're special to me."

"Yoongi, I...I don't know what to say."

"It's okay. I mean, I understand, Jieun. You went through a lot today and I'm sorry if I had to tell all these now. I just don't want to lose you. The thought of Namjoon taking you away scared me so much."

Jieun was left speechless. What Yoongi told her made her feel different kinds of emotions that she never knew she would encounter all at the same time. She felt happy, yet she was scared. She had never felt this warmth from somebody for such a long time and she refused to believe that everything was real.

She refused to believe that Yoongi was real.

"Tell me I'm just dreaming." Jieun didn't mean to speak out her thoughts.

"You're not, Jieun. This is real. Everything is real. My feelings for you is real."

"Yoongi, I'm sorry. I just couldn't understand what's happening. Can we just go home?" Jieun couldn't even look at Yoongi anymore.

"Sure." With a faint smile, Yoongi followed Jieun outside the cafe and drove her back home in his motorbike.

"Oh shit." Jieun jumped when she finally recalled everything that they talked about.

It was all real. I wasn't part of the dream.

Jieun hurriedly prepared herself to go out and look for Yoongi.

She needed to talk to him.

She needed to tell him something too.