Chapter 43 (2027)

Roughly one year later, 2027

Toronto

The fluorescent, tangerine sunlight peeked faintly through the synthetic curtains and into the dim silent bedroom, as dust particles danced its ways from the windowsill and onto the intertwined lovers sprawled among each other in bed. He was asleep. She was awake. Dauntless thoughts had clouded her mind the previous night, and she came to the conclusion that rest could wait.

Perhaps it was her rising heartbeat beating on the side of his chest, perhaps it was a lover's telepathy, but it was as if her awakedness in itself had awoken him up.

Cameron lifted his eyelids slowly, rising his free hand to rub his restless face and groggy eyes. Once his vision cleared, a smile immediately settled after locking eyes with the same pair he woke up to everyday.

"Happy 31st birthday," he mumbled gracefully into her hair.

"Mmm, thank you," Ariel replied with her cheek still resting on Cameron's left shoulder. He kissed the top of her head and began to run his fingers down the length of her hair.

"Do you know how long I've been waiting for this day?" Cameron asked softly.

"Please. We've spent so many of my birthdays together in the past," she said nonchalantly.

"You know what I meant. With my new book, and your new job at the hospital, on top of your pregnancy, and taking care of Camille, we haven't had alone time in ages."

"I know," Ariel groaned. She lifted her neck so that their faces were inches apart. "Dubai in less than twenty-four hours. That will get me through today. Tonight will be perfect."

"It has to be. We already missed our wedding anniversary last week."

"That's 'cause we couldn't find a baby sitter to watch Camille. You already contacted Linda for tonight, right?"

"Yes, she's coming to the house around 5:30 to take care of Camille and our helicopter arrives around 6:15. So, please try to come back no later before 6. No more taking on extra surgeries, Mrs. I Am The Most Competitive Doctor In The World."

"I just can't let the other surgeons think I'm inferior, babe," she sighed. "I'm already the youngest on the team, plus I'm a woman and not to mention, I'm pregnant."

"I know, I know," Cameron said, kissing her hair. "It's just, you've been coming home at like 2 in the morning, when your shift would end at 10. Am I crazy that I want to see my wife from time to time?"

"No," she smiled, caressing his rugged jaw with her fingers. "That is why I will be coming home at 6 PM sharp tonight. 5:45, if I'm lucky." Using her elbows, she sat up and leaned into Cameron's face, bringing him into a sincere kiss.

"Mm, you might as well call off for the whole day," Cameron smiled with teeth. "You are five months pregnant."

"Can't. Now you have a book to write, and I have patients to tend to. But it is 6PM in exactly... twelve hours."

"Longest twelve hours of my life." Cameron sighed, bringing Ariel to another kiss. Once they departed faces, Ariel relaxed into Cameron's arm and dragged her tank top up to reveal the apex of her growing, five-month belly.

"He's kicking!" she beamed, bringing Cameron's hands on to her belly. "Agh! He's fucking kicking," she muttered painfully.

Cameron laughed hysterically as he began to rub his hands over his wife's belly. "What a badass."

"His kicks hurt a million times more than Camille's ever did."

"That's because he's a boy, babe. A Dallas boy," Cameron grinned.

"Have you thought of names yet?"

"I have, actually. I was thinking of a new name for one of the characters in my book, and it just came to me. You ready for it, babe?"

"Let's hear it."

"Tecksaz."

"What?"

"Tecksaz."

"Tec- what?"

"Tecksaz, babe."

"Texas?"

"Oh my god, so 'Teck' like... like... technology, right? And then 'saz' like... like... like piz-zas! You feel?"

"Why in the world would we call our first son Tecksaz?"

"Because, Tecksaz Dallas! It's classic. Like Texas, but not like Texas. It's clever. Literature at its finest."

"We're not naming our son Texas."

"TeckSAZ, babe."

"We're not naming our son TeckSAZ."

"Do you have something better?

"I do, actually."

"Let's hear it."

"I don't know... like Aaron, or something. Simple but meaningful."

"How is Aaron more meaningful than Tecksaz?"

"Okay so, Camille has Cam- from the beginning of your name, and -iel from the ending of mine," Ariel explained. "Aaron will have Ar- from the beginning of my name, and -on from the ending of yours. Aaron."

Cameron paused for a moment, and shrugged. "I still think Tecksaz is better," he mumbled.

"Aaron," she said. "I get final say, he comes out of me.

"Well when you've just given birth to Tecksaz and you're tired and bloody and fatigue, I'll be signing all the documents and then we'll really see who gets final say," Cameron smirked. Ariel shoved his side with her elbows, causing the both to laugh. Suddenly, the hospital pager beside the bed beeped outrageously, alarming the both of them. Ariel immediately reached over and looked at it.

"Code blue, I have to go now."

"You don't have to go in until seven, that's forty five minutes."

"They're paging me now, baby, I'm sorry," Ariel apologized, prying carefully out of the bed, and leaning over to smooch Cameron one last time. She grasped his hand. "I'll see you tonight. 6 PM sharp."

"6 PM sharp," Cameron said releasing her. "Save lives."

"Write like crazy."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."