Chapter 41

*This is the longest chapter in the book. Read with leisure. :)*

Wedding Day; July 08, 2026

1:16PM

"Matthew Espinosa and Mabel Espinosa," Matt said to the usher in the front gates of the resort.

"Wonderful! You're on the list," the red-haired middle-aged woman beamed, handing Matt two programs of the wedding schedule. "Just follow the yellow brick road to the back of the resort and you'll see the ceremony."

"Yellow brick road, eh? I didn't know the wedding was Wizard of Oz themed. We've clearly underdressed, Mabel," Matt whispered jokingly to his daughter. The usher smirked.

"I beg to differ. I think you look very handsome, Mr. Espinosa," she said flirtatiously.

"Oh, well, um, thank you," Matt responded, completely caught off guard. Mabel shot a look of excitement at the two.

"But the wedding isn't wizard of Oz theme," the usher laughed. "Though that would be very cool."

"It would," Matt chuckled. Awkward silence. "Well um, we're just going to, uh-"

"Oh yes, of course! Enjoy the service, Matthew and Mabel," she smiled warmly.

The two thanked her and walked together down, literally, the yellow brick road.

"Okay, what was that, daddy?"

"What?"

"She was totally hitting on you!"

"She was not."

Mabel shoved him from the side. "I have eyes, dad. She even called you handsome and everything! Why didn't you keep it going? Ugh, you're so awkward!"

"Hurtful," Matt laughed.

"Seriously, what's holding you back, daddy? You're young, rich, handsome... you have a daughter that could realllly use a mommy..."

"Okay that's enough, Mabes. Ever since yesterday in the ice cream shoppe, you've been non-stop trying to hook me up with random women from the most random places."

"I have not!"

"That women in the gas station? How about the flight attendant in our plane? Then, there's that woman in the food court..."

"Well the only reason is because they show interest! All these women basically throw themselves at you, and you don't do a thing about it."

"I have standards, sweetie."

"What are standards?"

"It means," Matt said in exasperation, "that you, Mabel, are the only girl I need in my life. Now, enough. We're at a wedding, not some shopping spree to find me a  girlfriend." Mabel sighed in frustration as they reached the back of the resort where perhaps, five hundred chairs were organized.

There were many people already, though the wedding didn't start until 2:00. Another usher approached Matt and Mabel, asked for their names, and took them to their seats which to Matt's surprise, was the second closest row to the front. One seat had 'Matthew Espinosa' laminated on it, and the seat beside read 'Matthew Espinosa's guest'.

In the same row, Matt saw 'Taylor Caniff', 'Taylor Caniff's guest', 'Jack Gilinsky', 'Jack Johnson', 'Carter Reynolds', 'Carter Reynolds guest', and in the row behind, read 'Aaron Carpenter' followed by eight more seats that had 'Aaron Carpenter's guest'.

"Damn did Aaron bring his entire family?" Matt chuckled to himself. The seating arrangements excited him, yet broke his heart when he realized Nash's and Shawn's name were no where to be found.