Chapter 31

"So, I was thinking of where to take you tonight, when I came across this awesome idea," Cameron said as the two got off the car and headed to the pub.

"Well first off, I noticed that every time we went out, it was always to an event where other celebrities were, with paparazzi and cameras and all that stuff."

"I agree."

"So then I began to think 'where would I take a girl on a date when I was in highschool?' But then I stopped thinking like that because I was broke in highschool and I'd usually take girls to the dollar theatre, and if I really liked them, to Burger King afterwards. Dollar menu, of course."

Ariel laughed, oblivious to Cameron's remark that he had just said 'date.' "Go on," she said.

"So then I started thinking 'where would I take Ariel Vi if I was in highschool?' And I also considered the fact that you are the reason I pursued my writing career further."

"I'm still not catching on, Cam," Ariel said. The two finally reached the doors of the bar, as Cameron smiled gleefully and opened the door for her.

The two entered the pub, and to Ariel's dismay, the whole room was full with a diversity of people, lodged to booths and tables as they focused their attention to the stage. Everyone was relatively quiet as one single voice erupted with passion. The vibe in the room was relaxed and soothing with the lights dimmed an orange glow, as the smell of cigarettes filled the air, and waitresses danced around the bar, passing drinks around.

"A poetry slam," Ariel said, observing the room of poets. Cameron smiled at her, took her hand and led her to a table in the very back of the pub where they could still hear the poems being recited yet still talk, without disturbing the slam.

"Every Friday night for the past two summers, I attended a poetry slam. Various kinds, in different cities. It birthed inspiration for Ode to Life and helped me construct the entire story," Cameron said. " I always went alone, never took anyone with me. This was just kind of my thing with myself. But I figured that was because I didn't have the right person to share it with, at the time."

"Cameron--"

"And I know this isn't some extravagant dinner or super cool activity like sky diving or something, which I can totally take you if you're completely not feeling this, but I just had to take you to one poetry slam with me. I wanted to take my inspiration to the one other place that inspires me just as much as she does."

"Cameron, I love it," Ariel said. She reached for his hand that rested on the table and caressed it. "It's perfect, okay?"

Cameron relaxed on the comfort of her touch and smiled at her. She released her hand, and they gave their attention to the speaker.

"--And it doesn't make sense to call ourselves ugly because we don't really see ourselves!" exclaimed the woman on stage. "We don't watch ourselves sleeping in bed, curled up and silent with chests rising and falling with our own rhythm. We don't see ourselves reading a book, eyes fluttering and glowing as our fingers tremble to turn the next page. You don't see yourself looking at someone with admiration and care and pure love inside your heart! And there's no mirror in your way when you're talking about something you love so passionately, boiling with exuberance. Nor when you're laughing and smiling and utter happiness is leaking out of you. You would know exactly how bright and beautiful you are if you saw yourself in the moments when you are truly you. Thank you."

The room joined together in snaps as the red haired, teenager with piercings and tattoos exited the stage and the host came back on, inviting the next volunteer from the audience.

"That was deep," Ariel commented.

"And very true," Cameron noted. And in a softer tone, he whispered, "I find you prettiest when you're painting on a canvas or creating a masterpiece on somebody's skin."