Chapter 10 (2016)

Roughly one year later, 2016

2016 was the year of changes for the couple. Cameron had gotten the main part in a romance movie he auditioned for and Nash was offered to be in a Netflix television series, therefore, unfortunately permitting the two to quit Magcon for good.

Ariel's tattoo industry was going off the roofs, as celebrities from across the country would come to Denver just for her outstanding talent. She was also progressing in med school, passing every year and inching closer to her doctoral degree.

The two were in the brinks of their career, and one would assume that their relationship would be in its peak as well. However, the two had long passed their honeymoon stage shortly after their trip in Toronto a year ago.

FaceTime calls never reached three hours anymore and hardly any sweet gestures occurred while the two were apart. However, whenever they were together, (which was as often as once every four months) their sparks never failed to ignite, reminding them both why they had fallen for each other.

Perhaps, it was this that gave them faith in their relationship or perhaps it was the fear of never finding anything like this again, but it was enough for Cameron and Ariel to stay with each other for this long.

.

.

.

"Hey there, stranger," Ariel said after answering the FaceTime request from Cameron. She was cleaning up the tattoo parlor after a long day of work.

"Hey baby," Cameron mumbled, half asleep in what seemed to be a hotel bed.

"We haven't talked since, what? Thursday?"

"Yeah, well you know. I got the movie going on, you have school and the shop."

"Right," Ariel said, uneasily. There was a brief silence between the two as Cameron was seconds away from deep slumber. "Hey there, sleepy head. Did you call just to sleep on me?"

Cameron's face lit up. "Sorry. Sorry, babe. It's just," Cameron rubbed his eyes excessively and yawned, "I haven't slept since Sunday. We've been doing non-stop traveling and filming. It's insane."

"Where are you guys now?"

"We're in Vegas tonight. And tomorrow we'll be in Dallas --Wait no, sorry. I meant Boston. Dallas is on Friday. "

"Well, I can't wait to see it."

"Me too." Silence.

Ariel cleared her throat and decided on a different subject.

"So, I've been thinking."

"Mhm?"

"Since our one year and my birthday is next week, I was hoping maybe we could take a break from our busy schedules and spend the weekend together? You could fly out here or I could always go to L.A. Doesn't matter.I'm indifferent about it."Ariel said while wiping down her ink table.

"Next week? Oh baby, I can't."

"Well, I can't either. But I will. It's only a weekend, babe."

"No, I mean I won't even be in the country at all next week."

Ariel stopped cleaning. "Where are you going?"

"We'll be at Prague. There's this scene in the movie where I chase after my girlfriend who impulsively flies to Europe."

"I wish you could chase after me," Ariel said faintly. But Cameron heard her.

"I'm sorry. I want to spend next weekend with you. I wish I could spend every weekend with you. But--"

"You have the movie going on, I have school and the shop," Ariel repeated. "Got it." She feigned disappointment.

"Hey," Cameron said softly. "Next, next weekend, okay?"

"Cam--"

"No, I promise. You'll have me all to yourself and we'll fly wherever you want."

"That sounds almost too good to be true," Ariel muttered.

"Well, it's not. Because I promise. Two weeks. We can wait two weeks, right?"

Ariel sighed. "Sure. We'll wait two weeks." But she couldn't wait two weeks. Cameron had taught her to live in the moment, and at that moment she wanted to see him next weekend to celebrate their anniversary and her birthday. So, she knew exactly what to do. Taught by hers truly.

.

.

.

One week later

"You're going to fucking Prague?" Grace exclaimed. "Do you even know how completely irrational you're being right now?"

"It's the weekend of our anniversary, Grace. Plus, this will be my birthday present for myself," Ariel explained, packing clothes into her suitcase.

"But you're not even going to tell Cameron you're going! How do you even know he wants you there?"

"I'm surprising him. He'll understand, he did this to me exactly one year ago when he randomly flew me to Toronto."

"Listen, I love that you're stepping out of your comfort zone and you're starting to view life in this whole different scope, and I appreciate Cam for making you this happy for this long, but it's fucking Prague. You're flying halfway across the world without thinking twice about what you're about to do! This is crazy."

Ariel shrugged. "Love makes you crazy."

Grace almost barfed. "You're repulsive."

"Seriously, Grace! I remember around this exact time last year, you and Danny claimed to be fuck buddies. And what are you guys now?"

"Okay, shut up."

"In a relationship!"

"Alright, alright."

"I mean eight years ago we all would have puked to the thought of you two dating and now--"

"Okay! I get your point. Love makes you do crazy shit."

"Exactly," Ariel beamed. "And I appreciate you caring, Grace, I really do. But I want to do this."

Grace groaned. "Fine."

Ariel smiled and reached over to hug her bestfriend. "You're the best."

"Yeah, yeah. Just bring home some bomb ass crepes, all right?" The two erupted in laughter and Ariel continued packing.