Chapter 23

Cameron continued to gaze at Ariel who awkwardly stood before the table.

"Girls, leave," he ordered. The four groupies shot a look at him and each other, panicking almost. "I said leave," he repeated more sternly. They all groaned and sighed but instantly slid out of the booth, glared cruelly at Ariel and exited the porch.

Ariel then made her way to sit next to him on the booth. It was a cool summer night and twinkling lights hung all around the porch. The view from Cameron's back yard was absolutely breath taking. A glimpse of all of Southern California and the astounding navy sky.

Cameron wore a dark grey tux with a white tank beneath it. He paired it with what looked like a thousand dollar wristwatch and his hair was his usual hot, messy nest. Throughout the years, Cameron only grew to be more and more gorgeous, contributing to his overall profile as an actor.

"Ariel Vi," Cameron slurred. "Is it our time of year already?" His breath reeked of booze and cigarettes. Ariel decided to ignore it.

"It is July, yes," she said simply.

"I've missed you."

"And I, you," Ariel replied. "You must be terribly busy all the time. I never hear from you anymore."

"That's Hollywood, baby," Cameron grinned, as cocky as could be. He took out a pack of cigarettes and offered one to Ariel. They sparked each other's and began to smoke.

"So, what have you been doing? Anything new?" Cameron asked as if he was obligated to.

"Actually, yes," Ariel smiled. "I'm seeing someone new."

Cameron took a drag of his cigarette. His face remained impassive as if he wasn't even listening. So, Ariel continued.

"His name is Jesse. We've been dating for about six months now. We met in med school."

Cameron scoffed as he rested an arm over the rim of the booth. "Love. Can't believe there's still people out there that believe in that shit."

That offended Ariel, considering it was coming from the man she thought she loved. "What, you win an Emmy award or two and suddenly love becomes irrelevant to you?"

"It's all bullshit. Everything in this generation is over romanticized. Like, falling in love is actually vital for happiness."

"Then what exactly is vital for happiness to you?" Ariel gritted through her teeth, disgusted.

"Honestly," Cameron grinned, "Fame. Glory. Money. They say money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure as hell doesn't make you sad."

Ariel just stared at him, wondering where it all wrong. Everything he said sounded terribly familiar to Ariel, as if she's heard these exact same words before, but she couldn't grasp her mind around who.

Cameron continued, "I have this glorious house, success brewing off my roofs, a different honey every night. Life's good, baby."

"I can't believe you're proud of any of this," Ariel spat, taking a drag from her cigarette. "You're pathetic, Cameron. Shallow. I don't even know who you are any more."

"Please," Cameron said, exhaling a thick whim of smoke to the air. "Who do you think turned me like this? Because I'd be surprised by how much I thought you knew me if you actually think the divorce and Alice did."

"If you're trying to blame your asshole ways on me, you've reached an ultimate low, Cam."

"Why shouldn't I? You were the closest to love I ever had. You hurt me so damn much, and I was still there for you every time, even after you cheated. I should have accepted from the start. We never would have worked out." The drunken mind was speaking the sober heart. And it hurt Ariel so much to hear what he actually thought of their relationship.