Chapter 13 (2017)

Roughly one year later, 2017

Los Angeles

"I'm excited, Cam. Are you excited? Cause I'm excited."

"Of course, I'm excited, Nash. But it's nothing new, we've been to Manhattan before."

The two were having lunch outside a typical L.A. restaurant. The air was clear, sky was blue and the palm trees blew ever so slightly as they finished their lunch.

"Yeah, we've been to Manhattan before. But not for a fucking movie premiere. Yours, if I must add." Nash said, taking a sip from his wine glass. He had just turn 21 a few months ago.

"It isn't that big of a deal," Cameron shrugged.

"Hell yeah it is. Cameron, you're 23, 24 in a month, and you already have your first movie! Your career's going off the roofs."

"I could say the same to you, Nash," Cameron grinned. "You have your own television series."

Suddenly, two girls who seemed to be in their teens, approached the boys. "Oh my God, it's Nash and Cam! We've been watching you guys since Vine! Can we please take a picture with you guys?"

Cameron shot a look at Nash who shrugged and sighed deeply.

"Sure," Cameron said. The four of them quickly snapped a photo and the girls thanked them. As they walked off, the boys heard one of them beam, "We just met 2/12 of the Magcon boys!" as they scurried off.

"It's hard to start a professional career when you started off so foolishly." Cameron sighed, takinh a bite out of his salmon.

Nash agreed. "And have those two been living under a rock or something? Magcon broke up like, three years ago."

Cameron chuckled. "Hey, it's because of girls like them why we even have a career."

"Yeah, I know, I know. And I'm forever grateful. But come on, Cam, we're aspiring actors now. I don't want to be known as a 'Magcon boy' anymore." Cameron remained silent, just nodding his head in agreement. "Speaking about Magcon, did you invite the rest of the boys to the premiere?"

"Of course, I invited them," Cameron said. "It's up to them now if they want to actually come or not." The breakup had erupted a huge fight between all the boys. Some getting over it quicker than others, but still causing tension between the twelve whenever they met up again.

"Well, it's their loss if they don't want to support you in your first movie premiere." Nash said, taking another swig of his wine.

Cameron agreed. "So, you know who else I invited to the premiere?" He asked nervously, intentively watching Nash.

"Who?"

"Ariel." He murmured, looking down at his food and immediately losing his appetite just by saying her name.

There was a pause before Nash asked, "Are you sure about that, man? I mean you guys haven't spoken at all for the past year."

"She's still my friend."

"The girl cheated on you. She went all the way to Europe to break up with you. I'm sorry, but how is that necessarily 'friendly' to you at all?"

"The thing is, I don't even think she cheated on me. I know Ariel. She would never even consider doing that."

Nash shot his arms in the air in mock protest. "Even if she did. Even if she didn't, she still broke up with you for whatever reason it may be."

"And that's what I want to know. The reason why she left. And the real reason why. That's why I invited her. As a friend, and nothing more."

"Well I must say, you have some real fucking guts to see your ex that may or may not have cheated on you. I couldn't do that," Nash said.

"I need an explanation," Cameron shrugged. "Closure."

"I mean, let's say she did cheat on you and she's in a relationship with him right now. Then what?"

"Well, I invited her as a friend, no less. And it's her loss if she doesn't want to support me in my first movie premiere," he repeated Nash's words. They grinned at each other.

Nash decided to steer away from the topic. "Hey, enough about this, okay? I mean, in less then twenty four hours, we'll be in fucking Manhattan for your first movie premiere. It's a good life," Nash said. He raised his glass to Cameron. "To Manhattan."

Cameron sighed. He decided to think optimistically from there on. After all, Nash was right. It was a good life. "To Manhattan," he said.

They cluncked their glasses together.

.

.

.

Denver

"What do you even pack to a city like Manhattan?" Grace beamed.

"I don't know, think like a celebrity!" Ariel exclaimed, with twice as much enthusiasm.

The two were in Ariel's loft, packing for their trip tonight. Cameron had sent two tickets, inviting Ariel and a guest of her choice to the premiere.

"I just can't believe we're going to New York City. New York mother fucking City!" Grace said dancing around her bedroom.

Ariel erupted in laughter. "Hey, are you sure Danny's okay with this?"

"Of course he is, why wouldn't he be?"

"It's just, your guys' wedding is in like, two months and you're fleeing halfway across the country."

"Oh my God, you're right. Leaving Danny with the wedding plans is asking for chaos," Grace sighed, plopping on Ariel's bed.

"I still can't believe you guys are getting married," Ariel giggled.

"Well get use to the thought, Ariel, Because in less than two months, you'll be the maid of honor in both of your bestfriend's wedding."

"I know, I know. It's just bizarre. Who knew one trip to Disneyland could spark a lifelong relationship?" Ariel said. "From besties, to fuck buddies, to relationship, to engagement."

Grace sighed, ignoring every word Ariel had just said. "I can leave Danny for a weekend. It's only one weekend. As long as he doesn't touch any of the wedding plans while I'm gone, then we'll be fine."

Ariel smiled, "Good."

Grace glanced at her and said, "You know, I should be asking you that question. Are you sure about this whole thing?"

"The wedding? I mean it'll always be a bit weird for me, but I'm happy for you guys nonetheless."

"No, not about me and Danny," Grace said. "I'm taking about Manhattan and seeing Cameron for the first time since Prague. Or hell, speaking with Cameron for the first time since Prague."

Ariel shrugged, "I'm surprised he even wants anything to do with me after telling him I cheated and everything."

"Why exactly did you do that?"

"Oh my God, Grace, I've told you this a hundred times," Ariel groaned.

"I know, I know. It just didn't make sense to me!"

"In order for Cam to live up to his full potential, we couldn't be together. It's as simple as that."

"But why couldn't you just tell Cam you heard his dick of a director tell him he couldn't have a girlfriend in this business? Why'd you have to tell him you cheated?"

"I had to! Cameron would have never let me go if he knew it was either his career or me. He would have chosen me. And I couldn't let him do that," Ariel explained. "I knew the only way he'd let me leave him is if I hurt him. If I told him I met somebody else, he would be given no choice but to let me to go."

Grace sighed. "Well, now he hates you."

"Maybe so," Ariel said. "But I would much rather have Cameron hate me any day, then to keep him from following his dreams."