Chapter 49 (2037)

"So, before my parents passed away in that airplane crash I told you about, they were super adventurous and spontaneous and active people. The kind of outdoorsy camping type. I've told you that before, right?" Ariel asked. Cameron nodded.

"Yeah, and throughout my childhood I was more of a stay at home child. I was just really lazy to go hiking and camping and all that. I preferred staying in and painting pictures or reading science textbooks rather than to hike a trail with my parents," Ariel whispered. "Well, for my tenth birthday, my parents and I went to Russia for the summer and I remember the morning of my birthday, they told me they'd take me to this famous russian art museum. But that's if I agreed to hike with them up the second largest mountain in the world, that just so happened to be in Russia. I swear they planned it on purpose."

Cameron chuckled. "Continue."

"So, yeah, I climb the mountain with my parents which takes an entire five day hike. And at first I'm bitching like the errant ten year old I am, because it's hot and tiring and I just hate the outdoors," Ariel explained. "But once I reach the peak with my mom and dad and overlook the intersection of Asia and Europe, and once I could see the way the skyline kisses the horizon, and once my parents brings me into their arms so we can enjoy this moment together, this indescribable feeling of... peace overcomes me and I feel... happy," Ariel smiles. "That was my last memorable moment with them."

Cameron nodded as his eyebrows came together in an almost sympathetic look.

"Anyways, my wish or goal or whatever you want to call it, is to bring my child to Russia the minute they turn ten years old and hike up that same mountain with me," Ariel said. "It'll be like, a tradition, or maybe a tribute to my parents? I don't know. But that's definitely what I want to do before I die."

***

Roughly 10 years later, 2037

Kabardino-Balkaria, Russia

"That's it. We're going in circles. Those are our footsteps. I saw that same tree on Tuesday, dad, let's just give it up," Camille groaned.

"Oh, you did not. Suck it up, we're almost to the top," Cameron called back to his daughter.

"Come on! It was fun the first few days, it's just getting old now," Camille groaned. "You know, when you first suggested camping out in Russia I was all for it 'cause like mountains, fresh air, cool. But you didn't tell me it would take five days. You know what you can get done in five days in the city? A lot of things, dad. A lot of things."

"Well, once you start middle school and all your teachers ask what you did over the summer, you can say you climbed the second tallest mountain in the world. Not many people can say that, Camille," Cameron said, scanning the extended map in his hands. "Huh."

"What?"

"That's weird. It says we're at the top."

"All I see are rocks and trees. Do not tell me we climbed this entire week to see rocks and trees, dad."

The two stopped in their tracks and scoped the entire landscape, looking at nothing but rugged land and scraggy trees. There was no way this was the peak.

"There!" Camille shouted, suddenly. She pointed her finger at a narrow hilltop that exceeded to the clouds. It required just a few more climbs to get to but that didn't stop either of them at that point. They quickly exchanged wild grins and began climbing the staggering hill.

"Come on, old man! You want to spend another five days hiking this hill? You're so slow!"

"Hey, take that back! If this were ten years ago, I would have made it to the top in three days!" Cameron laughed, panting his way up to the peak.

"Slow poke, slow poke! Wow, I thought sloths were extinct, dad, I didn't know I was hiking with one!"

"Take that back!"

"C'mon grandpa, catch up to me! You don't wanna fall back too behind!"

"Oh you better hope I don't catch up to you young lady!"

The two struggled and laughed their way up until finally, Camille met with the top of the hill and pulled herself up to the ground. She quickly turned to help Cameron until he got up too and they were both at the peak of Mount Elbrus.

"WE'RE HERE!" Camille shouted to the sky. "WE MADE IT!!!" She pulled her father into a suffocating hug as Cameron focused on catching his breath. Eventually, he hugged her back and began cheering gracefully as well.

"WE... ARE AT THE TOP.... OF THE SECOND. TALLEST. MOUNTAIN. IN THE UNIVERSE!!!" Cameron screamed.

"BOO-YAH! This beats the city! This beats anything I've ever done before! WE'RE ON TOP OF THE WOOOORLD, BABY!" Camille shrieked, with her hands flung to the air.

"Would you like to do the honors, sweetie?" Cameron asked gleefully, reaching inside his backpack to retrieve something.

"Seriously? You don't want to do it yourself, dad?"

"Of course not. I want you to do it." He handed a jar to Camille as she carefully took it from her father's calloused hands. The jar was labeled A.Vi, and it was full of Ariel's ashes.

She looked down at the jar, then back at her father, and finally glimpsed at all the earth beneath her that the peak had overlooked. She was on top of the world, and she wouldn't want to release her mother in any other way.

Gradually, Camille walked to the peak's edge and unscrewed the lid. She closed her eyes, whispered a prayer and finally spilled the ashes over the edge. Cameron stood next to her, as they both watched the wind catch the ashes into their grasp and blow away to separate every single particle amongst the barren earth. He grasped his ten year old daughter by the shoulder and kissed the top of her head.

"Is this what she wanted, daddy?"

Cameron smiled genuinely. "She wanted to be here, at this moment, with the both of us. It was her dream."

"Well, now... She's everywhere. I mean, we are on the second tallest mountain ever. Every single one of her ashes... they're each sprawled in a different part of the world now," Camille smiled.
"Like I bet one ash is chillin' in China by now, while another one's floating in the Bahamas."

"I'm guessing you haven't learned geography yet, kiddo," Cameron smirked.

"Nope. But I do have an imagination!"

The both laughed as they watched the sunset dip from the clouds and meet with the Earth.

"I love you, Camille."

"I love you too, dad."

~

A/N: *i just noticed that in chapter 41 I wrote camille's name as camiel and now I write it like camille wow what an author fail omfg thank u guys for still reading me LOL one more chapter left babes!!*