Chapter 46

1:49AM

"Linda. W-wake up," Cameron yawned. "Someone's calling you. Your phone's ringing." The tune only continued to hum throughout the silent corridors of the living room, where Cameron and Linda had fallen asleep on separate couches. "Someone's calling your phone," Cameron repeated, rubbing his groggy eyes while trying to gain conscious. "Wake up, what if it's..." His eyes instantly lit up to the thought of Ariel, and immediately, he sprung up to his feet in search for the ringing cellphone.

"Hello?" Cameron breathed into the speaker.

"Hello, may I speak to Cameron Dallas?"

"This is he."

"Hello Mr. Dallas, this is Mount Sinai Ontario Hospital. You are listed as an emergency contact for Ariel Dallas, but you wouldn't answer your phone. Luckily, Mrs. Dallas is conscious enough to give this number to call."

"Conscious enough? I'm sorry?"

"We are calling to inform you that she is currently in the emergency room after a car incident with a drunk driver. We encourage you to come to the hospital immediately if plausible."

The line remained silent as Cameron's heart sank to the pit of his stomach. A million horrific assumptions cascaded his thoughts as adrenaline rushed through his veins and he could physically feel his heart stop beating.

"Hello? Mr. Dallas?"

"Y-yes, yes. I'm on my way right now. Is she okay? Is she going to be okay? I mean, if she can give you this number she must... H-how damaged was the accident? She's a doctor too, you know-"

"Mr. Dallas, if you would just rush to the hospital immediately, we can inform you of everything."

"Just tell me she's okay!" Cameron shouted unintentionally. He quickly composed himself and caught his breath, "Please. I-I just, I need to know that she's okay."

A silence ensued before the other line resumed. "She's okay."

***

2:19AM

"Mr. Dallas?"

"Yes, I am Ariel's husband, and this is Linda, our daughter's godmother," Cameron said anxiously, with Linda by his side, holding Camille in her arms.

"I'm Dr. Menace, Chief of Surgery, Ariel's boss," he said, shaking both of their hands.

"What happened to her?" Linda asked frightfully.

"I asked her to help me on an extra surgery," Dr. Menace said shamefully. "She agreed, and didn't leave the hospital until 1:00, or so. Around 1:30, she was rushed into the ER and the police had informed us that she was hit by a drunk driver."

"W-well is she okay? Can we see her?"

"Ariel has stayed unbelievably conscious considering how much damage the accident inflicted on her," Dr. Menace explained. "So far, her CT scan has showed us a few broken bones, her ribs are cracked, arm severely injured and her left foot is twisted and severely strained. Unfortunately, her baby has passed away. But she has stayed awake which is a really good sign. We have our best doctors assigned to this case, Mr. Dallas, I assure you."

Blood pumped throughout his entire body and tears strained his eyes. He couldn't take it anymore. "Can we see her?"

Dr. Menace nodded. "However, it is only immediate family beyond this point."

"She's basically family," Cameron said, in defense to Linda.

"It's okay, Cam. Go ahead, I'll stay out here with Camille," she reassured.