Masked Man | Fantasy AU

This is based off of the reader's perspective.

Wonderful. Just wonderful. I have to attend another fancy dance with my father. He is so focused me getting married that he hardly ever pays attention to my feelings anymore. Ever since mother passed away, he changed.

My father is dragging me to another dance. I repeatedly tell him to not make me go, but of course, he won't listen to me.

We are going to King Enji's castle for the dance tonight. I'm so thrilled. He is a great warrior in conquest, yes. But I've also heard that he is an abusive father to his children. Which makes me dislike him.

I was in my large bedroom, getting ready for the event tonight. My maids insisted to bathe me and help me dress, but I refused.

When I saw my dress laid out on my bed, I rolled my eyes and cursed. I may be a princess, but that doesn't mean I enjoy wearing suffocating and itchy gowns.

But now isn't the time to act like a spoiled brat. Grimacing, I slip on the dress and tie the bow in the back. The dress was elegant and butterfly themed, but still don't want to wear it.

It was also a masquerade ball theme, so my dress came with a special mask that covered my eyes

It was also a masquerade ball theme, so my dress came with a special mask that covered my eyes. I won't be able to see, just great. But King Enji said that everyone attending was required to keep it on at all times. Servants and butlers too.

Just then one of my maids knocked on the door. "Come in." I called out. She peeked her head in. "Excuse me my lady, but your father is ready to see you." She squeaked out.

I nodded and grabbed my mask, putting it on. "I'm ready." The maid opened the door for me. "I will escort you my lady."

Me and my maid walked silently to the front gates of the castle where our carriage was waiting for us. "You look ravishing my lady." She complimented me.

"Why thank you." I responded. "Although it is a bit itchy." I chuckled, scratching my back. The maid giggled and immediately regained posture when we arrived at the carriage.

My father was there. "Your dismissed." He said to my maid. She nodded and walked back into the castle. Father offered me his hand to help me into the carriage. I took it and got inside.

Then after I had made myself comfortable, father joined me. The coachman closed the door for us. Then we were on our way.

The ride was mostly awkward and quiet. Until I broke the silence. "Father, why do you always make me attend these dances?" He didn't look at me but gave his answer.

"Y/N, I bring you along so you can find a potential prince to marry. I've been generous enough to not bring in suitors, but if you don't find a fiancé soon, I'm going to have to take drastic measures." He said.

"Oh, I understand." I've always wanted to marry for love. The recent princes I have met all just want to marry me for either my body or the kingdom. Father doesn't believe me when I tell him these things.