I Decline | Mermaid AU

Y/N, Princess of the underwater city known as Aquamarine, crossed her arms as she floated in the water in front of her father's throne.

"Father no. I will not marry a merman in which I do not know. Much less a guy who I don't find love in." She said stubbornly.

"Y/N, you have declined every single suitor I have brought into the palace. I'm not getting any younger and you aren't either. So you will marry the suitor I have chose for you." He said.

Y/N huffed before swimming to her room. She laid on her bed and hugged one of her starfish shaped cushions next to her.

Next day

Y/N waited with her hands behind her back as the royal carriage arrived in front of their palace.

The King and Queen swam down to level with the carriage and awaited the suitor.

The prince bowed before exiting the carriage. Y/N glared at him.

"It is an honor to have you in our kingdom, Prince Todoroki." The Queen said, smiling.

The prince bowed once more. "It is my pleasure as well, Queen L/N." He answered back.

The prince gently grabbed Y/N's hand and planted a soft kiss on it. She didn't notice but he was also glaring down at her hand while he kissed it.

She snatched her hand away before wiping it on the side of her tail.

Prince Todoroki was surprised by her actions and was intrigued with her already.

The royal dinner

Y/N ate as quickly as possible to avoid talking with her new fiancé. And avoid talking with her parents too.

Todoroki wasn't enjoying it any more than she was. He wanted to go back to his own kingdom and forget all of this.

Y/N finished eating and quickly excused herself. But the king stopped her.

"Y/N you should bring your new fiancé with you. Both of you can get to know each other."

Y/N turned away and cursed under her breath. Breathing in and out, she clenched her fist. "Fine. Your highness, follow me." She spat out.

Todoroki followed her reluctantly, and silently.

Once they were in her room, Y/N slammed the door.

"Look, I don't want to marry you! But I have no choice. I suggest you try and stay out of my life as best as you can!" She shouted at him

Todoroki blinked. "I don't want to be here no more than you. But my father forced me into this. I don't have a choice either. So we are the same, no?" He replied calmly.

Y/N's eyes widened. She didn't realize that he didn't want this any more than she did.

She bowed respectfully. "Apologies. I'm sorry I lashed out at you. I was just angry at the fact I have to marry someone I don't know." She sighed.

Todoroki chuckled. "Well, since we have to be stuck in marriage, I think we should try and make this thing work."

Y/N nodded. "Okay. Your right." She agreed.

They spent hours talking about their parents and about themselves most of all.

While Todoroki rambled off, Y/N took the time to look at his features.

He had half white and half red hair, with a scar covering his left eye. His eyes were two different colors, grey on the right and turquoise on the left.

She found him quite attractive.  Blushing she looked away and covered her face.

Stop this! Your not supposed to want this! Your supposed to oppose this! Get yourself together!

"Are you alright?" Todoroki moved her hand from her face.

Y/N blushed even redder from the close proximity between the two.

He put his hand on her forehead to check her temperature. "Hmm. You don't seem to have a fever. Is it perhaps that your flustered?" He smirked at her.

"What! No! I am not flustered!" She denied.

"Oh is that so? Then what if I do this?" He got even closer and kissed her passionately.

She kissed him back and tangled her hands on his hair.

"Your lips are really sweet." He breathed, pulling away.

"Um thank you. Maybe your right. Perhaps we can make this marriage work after all." She smiled, holding his hand and kissing it.

Art is not mine