Chapter X

Karl POV:

Did she just- holy honk she did. She called me pretty. I won't let that distract me from the fact that she indicated she's not good-looking herself. Is she blind or just delusional? Either way, I won't let her get away with saying that.

"How about the world will, for the first time ever, see two pretty best friends?" I ask her. She smiles at me and laughs. I laugh too.

"Sure," she says when she calms down, only giggling now. It's really cute. What? I need to look into what kind of dangerous and toxic gases these nail polishes let out.

We talk on end for hours it feels like, but when I look at the screen I see it's been only one hour since I called her. It feels like I know everything about her already. What could I possibly come up with to talk with her after this? What if there's nothing about me that she wants to know after this? It's not like we can't do anything else, we don't live close enough to just hang out.

I sigh and she notices my sudden mood change. "What's wrong Karl? Is it me? Am I talking too much?" She rambles with a deep line between her brows, a worried look on her face.

Y/N POV:

He looks sad all of a sudden and doesn't seem to notice that I've stopped talking. He lets out a sigh and I suck in my bottom lip. "What's wrong Karl? Is it me? Am I talking too much?" I ramble worried that I'm the reason for his sudden mood change. He looks at me, panic in his eyes.

"No, no never," he rushes through the sentence. "I was just thinking about what we would do when we run out of things to talk about." Oh. I thought for a bit.

"Well we could always just play something or we could go live on your channel, letting the chat move the conversation forward. Worst case scenario we could always just be quiet and listen to each other breathe."
I laugh at the last one and so does he. I smile at the fact that I've managed to brighten his mood again. That's good.

"Yeah, that sounds great." He goes quiet for a moment. "Could we switch to normal voice call? I wanna go to sleep." He says as if it was normal to talk to someone no matter what you were doing. Maybe it was, you were unfamiliar with this new phenomenon called 'friends'.

"Sure, I should head to bed as well," I say, feeling a bit drowsy. He smiles and then hangs up. Welp. I take my phone and go to tell Nick that I'm headed to bed. He just hums at me from his chair and I walk out. 'Okay then' I think while walking over to the bathroom to get ready for bed.

I'm in the middle of brushing my teeth when my phone buzzes. It's Karl calling me back, as promised. I accept and put him on speaker. "Hello." The sound is muffled due to the toothbrush in my mouth and Karl laughs at me.

"What?" He laughs some more before continuing. "I can't understand you." I sigh and then spit out the toothpaste. "I said; hello" I roll my eyes in the mirror, empathizing the word 'said'. "Ohhhh." He laughs again. "That makes sense. Hello to you too then y/n."

I smile. "Hey, Karl." I greet him, softening my voice. The call falls silent and I take this opportunity to walk back into my room. I hear footsteps on his end too, so I don't say anything.

I put my phone down on my desk. Changing into my pajamas and pulling down the blinds so my room goes pitch black, except for the white light from my phone. I stumble over there, grabbing it as I carefully make my way over to the bed. I hear movement from Karl, but it sounds like he's in bed. I cuddle down under my own sheets, still quiet. So is Karl.

"Are you in bed yet?" He whispers, even though I'm 99% sure he heard me go to bed. "Yeah, you?" I continue on his unnecessary politeness.

"Yeah." He's still whispering, but it sounds more like a mumble now as he's getting more tired. "Do you wanna hang up so you can sleep in peace?"

"No!" I panic, too loud. Fuck. "I mean, no, it's fine." He laughs at me quietly, a soft laugh that I'm not used to. I smile and feel the sleep take over my body and like that, the world goes dark before my eyes.

Karl POV:

I hear her breathing get slower and deeper after a while, steadier. Is she already asleep? "Y/n? Are you up?" I make sure, whispering as quietly as I can, not wanting to wake her. I get no answer so she's definitely asleep.

I smile and let myself fall asleep too, not hanging up. Sleeping with someone for once feels nice, even if it is just an aural illusion.