Chapter XVII

"Karl, I'm about to murder both you and my sister." Sapnap threatens us. What the heck. He can't do that. I'm the older sibling. I frown.

"Yeah, sure you are." I dare him. I can hear Quackity 'oohhh' in the background. They're such a bunch of kids.

"Guys in-game, in-game" George quickly tells chat while Dream is just wheezing as always. I'm not sure that's what my brother actually meant but I'll take it.

"You're dead. Where are you?" My brother asks and I see him running around my house. Shit. I jump down to my secret base and crouch.

"Nowhere. Nowhere at all. Can we talk through this?" I plead. I don't want to die on his stream again in a pathetic attempt to fight back. I have discovered that I suck at Minecraft PVP.

"No." He says sternly. Zeus, I don't want to stay crouched forever.

"Okay then. Bye Saps chat, I'm leaving" I say before leaving the call and then the game. I can hear him let out a rather loud 'what' from down the hall. 'Sucks to suck' I think as I can't tell him because I left the call.

Then my eyes phone pings. Karl.

Karl<3

Hey. I messed up, didn't I?

Yeah, kinda
But it's fine

Sorry

I said it's fine, really
Do you wanna play among us after Nicks's stream?

Sure :]

I smile at my phone. It really was fine. He's my little brother and it's not like I wasn't going to tell him anyways that Karl wants me to visit him. I sigh and go to lay down in bed. I'll just nap 'til Nicks's stream is over.

~~~

A buzzing sound next to my ear or what wakes me up. I blink, confused, and slam my hand around the area of the sound to find my phone. I squint my eyes at the bright light and answer the call before putting the phone next to my ear.

"Hello?" My voice is raspy. It sounds disgusting but the person on the other end doesn't say anything about it.

"Hey. Did I wake you?" Karl's voice asks. Right. Among us. Now I remember it.

"Yeah, you did." I groan. "But it's fine, I have to go to the skate park anyways." I sigh. My sleep schedule is pretty bad, isn't it?

"The skate park? Why?" He sounds confused. Haven't I told him about that yet? Weird. I thought I had told him everything by now.

"I go there at mid every night. It's like a tradition." I shrug. It sounded cool when I said it like that, but in reality, it was pretty depressing.

"That sounds so cool." Called it. "We gotta do that when you come here!" He yells excitedly.

"Yeah, we could do that." I smile. "But weren't we playing among us?" I remind him of the purpose of his call.

"Oh right." He says. The memory capacity of this boy was incredible.

~~~

"I gotta go now," I tell him when the round is over. I don't want to quit, but I feel like I have to.

"Why?" He sounds sad. Ugh, damn these feelings of human compassion.

"Skatepark, remember?" I ask him. He lets out a quiet 'ohh' of realization and I snicker. "Yeah."

"Well, can I come with on-call?" Wait, I haven't thought about this before. No one has ever wanted to come with me, in any way. I think about it for a moment.

"Yeah, that'd be nice." I decide and smile even though he can't see it.

~shawty's like a melody~

"See? It's the stars." I point my camera to show the midnight sky. It's breathtaking when it's cloudless, like tonight.

"That's really pretty." Karl compliments. I laugh silently and then sigh. Yeah, it is quite pretty. Just like him. What? I didn't think that. I feel my face heat up and am grateful that the camera is still pointed at the sky. I imagine that it would've been really awkward otherwise.

We sit in comfortable silence, enjoying the night sky tighter, yet apart. It's really nice nonetheless.

~~~

"Karl? You there?" I say after a long time of nothing from his end.

"Hm?" He hums. Was he sleeping? Did I just wake him up? Now I felt bad.

"Did I wake you? Sorry if I did." I apologize, not waiting for his answer. He grunts and I can hear the sound of his sheets moving.

"No, it's fine. I was awake." He tells me. Somehow I don't believe him. I should've just stayed silent.

"Sorry." We fall silent. We switched from FaceTime to a normal call a while ago. I grab my skateboard and head towards the bus stop. I have had a slight PTSD from the bus since that tweet but I like to ride it just to see if anyone is looking at me or pointing their phone my way. I just wanna know who it was, maybe it wasn't that bad. 

But I had no luck on the way here and I doubt I will have any now either. "Do you want me to hang up so you can sleep? The bus is pretty loud." I offer while walking towards the stop.

"No, no it's fine. I'll wait 'til you get home to sleep" He says groggily.

"Promise? You need sleep." I say. His sleep schedule concerns me sometimes. He is awake at ungodly hours and sleeps at weird hours during the day, and still manages to always seem so lively and alert. 

"Yeah, promise." His words are so inexplicit that I almost can't work out what it is he's saying. As I said, he needs sleep. I just sigh and hop on the bus that just arrived. I sit silent and look out the window during the whole ride and forget about Karl completely. 

I get off at my stop and walk inside, tiptoeing even though Nick is probably awake. But he also could be asleep, plus our parents definitely are so it's pretty smart to tiptoe anyways. I put my phone on my bed when I get to my room and start getting ready for bed.

I had forgotten about Karl until I lay down and I hear him shift around in his bed. I open my eyes and pick up my phone. "Hey?" I whisper and get back a muffled hello. "Karl, why aren't you sleeping?" I whisper, trying to sound angry with him.

"B'cuz you aren't..." He mumbles. I bite my bottom lip and smile. That's really sweet. And really, really dumb as well.

"Karl, you should sleep." I try scolding him.

"Are you in bed?" He asks I knit my brows. What does that have anything to do-. Oh. He wants to fall asleep with me. So stupid.

"Yeah. Will you sleep now?" I'm still whispering.

"Yep. G'night y/n..." He sounds like he's already half asleep.

"Good night pretty boy," I whisper gently before closing my eyes and falling asleep to the sound of his breathing.