Chapter Sixty Six

Namjoon stares at the worn photograph, the very same one he looks at in the privacy of his own room whenever the urge arises, the very same one that curls at the corners where at some point in his past someone (maybe even himself) took it upon the...

Namjoon stares at the worn photograph, the very same one he looks at in the privacy of his own room whenever the urge arises, the very same one that curls at the corners where at some point in his past someone (maybe even himself) took it upon themselves to tear it straight down the middle.

Namjoon doesn't know who the person is standing next to him, all he can see is the way his arms wrap protectively around them and how her eyes (he knows it's a she from what little remains of her on the photograph) seem to gaze up at him fondly. He doesn't know who she is or how they met, he doesn't know what caused them to part or why his memories of her were taken from him but what he does know is that he longs for whoever is in that photograph and he also feels guilt and regret.

He doesn't know why, can't even begin to explain it but he knows it's his fault, they're not together now because of him....because of something he did.

There was a time Namjoon trusted the organisation, they would say jump and he would simply ask how high?

They saved his life, they took him off the streets and away from the life of petty crime and gang affiliations to something better, to something with purpose and in return he offered them his loyalty. Namjoon studied hard, he aced all his tests and excelled when it came to his training and so it was only natural he take on the role of leader when the organisation approached him and offered the position with Bangtan. Namjoon swore to do his duty, to take on any mission given to him and his team and to make sure those missions were a success and that's exactly what they did. From the very moment Namjoon was introduced to the rest of his team he knew they would work well together, coming from similar backgrounds and wanting to prove themselves worthy to the organisation they excelled and soon became some of the best (if not the best) agents they had.

Jungkook was the last one to join their team, an android hybrid created by the organisation to become the ultimate soldier.

Naturally Namjoon was sceptical at first, worried if it would disrupt the dynamic of their ragtag group but instead the youngest member seemed to strengthen their bond and they haven't looked back since.

Then the day came that changed everything, when Namjoon received a certain letter that made him question his loyalty to the organisation.

It was a year before Yoongi met Lilly, before the horrors that followed threatened to break them apart.

Namjoon was back from yet another successful mission and after briefing the others he headed for his office to type up his field report, something he's done many times before yet today when he opened the door to his office and stepped inside he noticed an envelope sitting unopened on the recently polished (most likely Hoseok's doing as he despised anything that was untidy) mahogany surface. He remembers the way his brow furrowed as he circled the desk to sit down, the way his fingers hesitated to slide beneath the seal and the way his heart responded in the most unexpected of ways when the photo he now holds in his hands slides out along with a message.