Chapter Four

Jungkook's POV

The pain increases in waves, small lulls giving false hope of an end. Each peak robs my ability to speak, sends me crashing to the bare boards. It's as though my blood has become acid, intent of destroying me from the inside out. All I can do is writhe, the occasional whimper escaping to echo off the walls.

"Jungkook it's almost over, stay with me."

I hear Jin's voice....distant yet comforting, an anchor during the storm which rages on inside my body.

I'm the strongest within our little group of misfits, the organization created me to be the perfect soldier but my abilities come at a price and daily pain is one of them.

I need shots to keep my body in peak condition, whatever the organization provide Jin with doesn't usually hurt as much as this though.

"I'm fine hyung." I spit out aggressively, eyes shut tight as another wave of pain washes over me.

"It's a higher dosage, the organization want to see how your body reacts to the serum."

I shake my head, anger now the most dominant emotion.

"Of course they fucking did, why should anything they do surprise me anymore." I growl, fucking pissed that my hyung didn't even mention this to me.

"I didn't want to make you nervous, I thought not telling you was better." It was like he was reading my mind, knowing how angry I was with him.

"It's okay hyung, it's done now so we just have to wait for the serum to work with my body"

I know it's coming and my muscles tense as much as they can, I feel bone snap as my mind becomes inoperable. The pain takes me not far away, but deep inside myself to some primitive place that knows how to cope with the kind of pain that precedes death. My vision is blotched with violent colours that move and merge without pattern or design.

"Jungkook....Jungkook!" I hear my hyung, he's frantic now.

"I can deal with it, just....ah....FUCK!"

I let out a strangled scream and feel blood well into my throat from the tongue I had just bitten through in vain attempt to keep quiet.

"Christ! Jungkook! I didn't think a higher dosage would do this....fuck."

"Hyung just stop! It'll pass, I can deal with it so just stop freaking out!" I cry out, voice hoarse as the pain only gets more intense.

I need a distraction, something to make me focus and that's when she appears.

Three years....three years since the day of our encounter and she still hasn't left my mind.

I had just finished a job, Taehyung was waiting for me a couple of blocks aways when a body suddenly collided with mine.

"Oh I'm so sorry! I wasn't watching where I was going, I'm late for my first day at work and I'm so nervous. I stopped to get a coffee, coffee relaxes me. I'm rambling now, you don't care about my day."

I scowled, I didn't have time for this but when my eyes finally met her own everything changed.

She was quite the beauty, but seeing her up close only reinforced that truth. Long wisps of purple hair and the kindest pair of eyes trimmed by long gorgeous lashes. Lovely eyes, yet somehow gentle, that held a tiny warmth within them. Florid cheeks and flawlessly sculpted lips, as if crafted by angels themselves; standing this close to her I could see them clearly, glistening attractively with cherry lip balm that added further rosy color. All these features set together on a delicate almost, angelic face.

"Are you okay?" She smiled....damn what a smile.

"Yeah, I'm good. You?" I noticed her blush.

"I'm good, all good. I got some coffee on your jacket. It's a really nice jacket, I'm really sorry. It didn't hurt did it? The coffee is still hot, I'm rambling again." She chuckled, brow furrowing as she looked at the stain on my jacket.

"It's okay, it's just a jacket. I'm fine, it didn't hurt." I've never spoken this much to someone before, I shouldn't be talking with her anyway.

"I should go." I say reluctantly.

"Of course, I'm sorry to keep you and sorry again for the coffee and jacket."

I chuckle and she smiled, nibbling on her bottom lip.

"Stop saying sorry." I smile and again she blushes. I then remind myself of what I'm doing here, I need to find Taehyung and leave.

"Sorry, I really must go."

"Now you're saying sorry." She chuckles.

"Y/N? You coming or what? Don't want to annoy the boss on your first day."

Y/N....so that's her name.

There's a second woman who appears from the coffee shop, she's older and more stern looking. I'm sad to leave but this conversation shouldn't have continued on for so long. I wait for Y/N to turn around and address the second woman

"I'm coming, just talking with....."

I'm already gone before she can finish her sentence.

"Jungkook? Jungkook can you hear me?"

The pain is gone.

"Hyung....it's okay. I'm fine, it doesn't hurt anymore." I open my eyes and slowly push myself up.

"Careful, take it easy." Jin gently takes my arm, helping me down from the bed.

"You completely spaced out on me Jungkook, what did you do....to block out the pain?"

"I just thought about something which makes me happy." I notice my hyung cock a brow, amusement fills his eyes.

"There's something which makes you happy?" He teases.

"Yes, believe it or not even someone like me can have good memories." I smile, glad to finally be rid of the pain.

"Well, whatever that good memory is keep it with you Kook because you'll be getting that same shot tomorrow."

I don't like the sound of that but don't really have a choice, whatever the organization wants they certainly get.

"I'll never forget it." I reassure my hyung as he finishes the examination.

"Okay, you can go and rest now Jungkook. I'll see you tomorrow, if you see Jimin on your way back just send him to me please."

I give a nod, dressing myself and heading for my room with thoughts of her still running through my head.