6. 𝘖𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘢 𝘒𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘴 𝘏𝘦𝘳 𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘉𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘍𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔: 𝐎𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐬 𝐇𝐞𝐫 𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝

June 11, 2018

OLIVIA DIDN'T LIKE GOING ON QUESTS. Maybe that was because she was prone to mood changes and she'd be all for it later, but having been attacked almost immediately after beginning the quest had near totally ruined things for her. Maybe something good would happen to change her mood again later.

As of right now, she, Percy, Annabeth, and Grover were walking through the woods along the New Jersey riverbank, the glow of New York City making the night sky yellow behind them. The smell of the Hudson reeked, so Olivia plugged her nose and buried her head in her sleeve.

Grover was shivering and braying, his big goat eyes turned slit-pupiled and full of terror. "Three Kindly Ones," he said, trembling. "All three at once."

"Come on!" Annabeth said. "The farther away we get, the better."

"All our money was back there," Percy reminded her. "Our food and clothes. Everything."

"Well, maybe if you hadn't decided to jump into the fight—"

"What did you want me to do?" Percy demanded. "Let you get killed?"

"You didn't need to protect me, Percy," Annabeth huffed. "I would've been fine."

"Sliced like sandwich bread," Grover put in, "but fine."

"Shut up, goat boy," Annabeth chided.

"Stop arguing!" Olivia shouted, stomping forcefully. The ground shook with a half-second long tremor. "I still have all my things on me. We'll be fine for a while, okay?"

Grover brayed mournfully. "Tin cans... a perfectly good bag of tin cans."

"It's okay," Olivia assured him. "We'll probably find some on the quest."

They came across muddy ground and Olivia vehemently refused to step through it.

"Olivia, come on," Annabeth said.

The daughter of Apollo shook her head. "No," she huffed. "I'm not walking through that. Somebody's gotta carry me."

"Olivia!" Annabeth snapped.

"I am not walking through that," Olivia said. "Either someone carries me or I turn right around. I'm not walking through mud in these shoes."

"They aren't even new," Percy argued.

"Never said they were," Olivia said. "Just that I was not walking through the mud with them."

Percy groaned and rolled his eyes, stepping through the mud and picking Olivia up. "You're really light," he commented. "Is this healthy?"