1. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘍𝘢𝘪𝘭𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘠𝘦𝘢𝘳

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐚𝐢𝐥𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫

December 14, 2019

PERCY JACKSON WAS CONFUSED ABOUT OLIVIA ANWORTH.

She'd been growing distant with Annabeth for a while now since their last quest, and slowly turning to him for help with everything instead, especially when she came to New York on the weekends.

After she dragged him to see Frozen 2 while babysitting her cousin, she said something to him that caught him completely off guard:

Give me an I-M when you get the chance, yeah? See you around, pretty boy.

Percy had felt himself blush from the roots of his hair to his neck. Looking back, Olivia probably hadn't meant it that way, but at the moment, he thought she was flirting with him and he'd panicked and done finger guns before running inside.

Percy had briefly danced with the idea of seeing Olivia in a romantic way after she'd kissed him on the cheek following his victory at the chariot races. The idea spun wildly out of control, Percy somehow convincing himself that he actually liked her. Somewhere down the line, it went from a harmless thought to something he didn't know if he could keep himself in check regarding.

Maybe that was why he was so embarrassed sitting next to her in his mom's car.

They were going to a boarding school on a Saturday, and as someone who'd gone to boarding school before, Percy was very disappointed in these people for holding students on a Saturday. Apparently, the weather had been too much of a conflict yesterday, so the students were forced to stay until tonight. Either way, how tragic to be trapped in school for longer than necessary.

They were traveling now that the weather had lessened somewhat, and there she was, leaning on Percy's shoulder. Olivia fiddled with her yellow scrunchie, her curls falling loosely around her shoulders.

"Right after I get my hair done," she complained, looking out the window. "I love Grover, but he has such terrible timing."

Thalia sat in the passenger seat so they would all fit. Percy and the others girls sat in the back, with him in the middle, Annabeth on his left, and Olivia on his right. The daughter of Apollo kept looking at Percy questioningly, her brows furrowed in concern.

"You've been acting weird these last few weeks," she commented. "You okay?"

Percy managed to laugh a little. "I'm good, Sunshine," he assured her. "Why?"