6. 𝘖𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘢 𝘎𝘦𝘵𝘴 𝘢𝘯 𝘜𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘤𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘢𝘳𝘺 𝘎𝘭𝘰𝘸-𝘜𝘱

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔: 𝐎𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐆𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐧 𝐔𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐆𝐥𝐨𝐰-𝐔𝐩

SEA OF MONSTERS DAY 1

OLIVIA WAS NUMB BY THE TIME ANNABETH PLUCKED HER ONTO THE LITTLE ROWBOAT. She was staring up at the sky, clinging to her Sunshine bag, and Annabeth didn't know what to to do.

"Thank the gods," she breathed when Olivia finally took a shuddering breath and leaned over the side of the rowboat to cough up water. It was a sign of life and Annabeth was grateful Olivia wasn't entirely trapped within her thoughts.

"Beth," she called weakly when she leaned back over. She collapsed in Annabeth's arms and stared blankly at the water. "Beth, I'm terrible."

"No, Liv," she said. "No, you're not."

"Luke would disagree," Olivia said wryly.

"Who cares what he said?" Annabeth demanded.

"Luke said I could've helped Thalia, that I could bring her back," Olivia murmured, sighing as she fought her exhaustion. Annabeth raised a curious eyebrow. When Olivia was fully aware of herself, she'd ask her about what that meant, but right now, they needed to focus on finding Percy and the others.

Annabeth hopelessly drifted through the ocean for a couple minutes before a familiar head of messy jet-black hair stuck out above the water. She carefully put Olivia down and tried steering the boat in the direction of the plank of wood Percy was floating on.

He seemed to also be drifting towards them, luckily, so she pulled him on just as quickly as she'd done Olivia. Unlike Olivia, however, Percy was fully unconscious. Annabeth frowned and grabbed Olivia's bag from her gently, looking through it for a square of ambrosia she could feed Percy.

Olivia had curled up on the boat, still shaking. Annabeth, meanwhile, finally managed to find some ambrosia, which she then fed Percy as quickly as she could. He looked terrible, especially compared to Olivia. He didn't seem to be healing despite having been in the water. Annabeth figured the Sea of Monsters played a big part in that, given he couldn't control the water when they first entered.

Annabeth kind of wished Alice was there with them. She was a brilliant girl when it came to helping out in the infirmary and Annabeth didn't really know what to do besides repress her panic for the sake of the others.

While Olivia was slowly coming out of her quiet shell, Annabeth managed to find the thermos. She figured it had enough air for one last use and opened it carefully. It was enough to carry them for a few miles before it finally spurted out one last wave of air and gave up. Without it, they began floating around aimlessly. Annabeth started to fidget with the ponytail holder on her wrist, feeling uncomfortable. The slow movement was terrifying. It felt like they were just sitting around, waiting for something to get them. Several things did circle them, but nothing ever came too close.