8. 𝘖𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘢 𝘗𝘳𝘦𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘊𝘳𝘢𝘴𝘩 𝘢 𝘞𝘦𝘥𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖: 𝐎𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐂𝐫𝐚𝐬𝐡 𝐚 𝐖𝐞𝐝𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠

SEA OF MONSTERS DAY 2

POLYPHEMUS' ISLAND WAS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. It contrasted the nightmarish island Olivia had conjured up in her mind. And sure, it did have a rope bridge across a chasm, but that was it. The green fields and tropical fruit trees completely took away from the 'horrific monster living here' thing.

Annabeth breathed in the sweet air. "The Fleece," she said once they were close enough.

Olivia could sense its healing abilities from where she sat. She could feel its power. Powerful enough to heal anything, even restore them to better condition than before. Like Thalia.

Her tree, of course.

"If we take it away, will the island die?" Percy asked.

"No," Olivia said. "It'll just return to what is was. The Fleece can heal things, and that will be that, of course. But to completely change things that don't need to be healed? You can't remove it or else the island will return to its sad little state."

In the meadow at the base of the ravine, several dozen sheep stood, seemingly peaceful, but the fact that they were the size of hippos really brought that into debate. Behind them, a path that led into the hills, and at the top of that was a massive oak tree with a glittering fleece in its branches.

"This is too easy," Percy noted. "We could just hike up there and take it?"

Annabeth's eyes narrowed. "There's supposed be a guardian," she said carefully. "A dragon or..."

A deer conveniently emerged from the bushes. The poor thing trotted into the meadow, probably looking for grass to eat, when the sheep all bleated at once and rushed the animal. It happened so fast that the deer stumbled and was lost in a sea of wool and trampling hooves. Grass and fur shot through the air around them.

A few moments later, the sheep all moved back to their original spots, and a pile of clean bones lay where the deer had been.

They all exchanged looks.

"They're like piranhas," Annabeth said.

"Piranhas with wool," Percy said. "How will we-"

Something caught Olivia's eye. "Oh, my gods! Look."

She pointed down to where she could see a small boat... the other lifeboat from the CSS Birmingham.

"There's a chance the others made it out of there, too," Olivia said.

"You're right," Annabeth said. "Percy, do you realize what this means? There might be hope for Clarisse and Tyson yet."

"All we have to do now is get to them," he agreed. "But how?"