2. 𝘖𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘢'𝘴 𝘉𝘢𝘥 𝘍𝘦𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘛𝘳𝘶𝘦

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐: 𝐎𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚'𝐬 𝐁𝐚𝐝 𝐅𝐞𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐞

June 5, 2019

SOCIAL STUDIES WAS ONE OF THE MOST BORING CLASSES PERCY HAD EVER TAKEN.

They were trying to draw latitude/longitude maps. Percy could barely focus as his thoughts drifted towards Olivia Anworth. Almost absently, he opened his notebook and stared at the photo right on the front page.

It was him and Olivia at the park last year, during a weekend in November. She wore a thin pink jacket and light-washed blue jeans. A blue scarf was resting around her shoulders, not even wrapped around her neck. The jacket wasn't zipped, either. She seemed almost unaffected by the weather, as if her clothing choices were for aesthetic purposes. Meanwhile, Percy was wearing a full on autumn jacket and a hat to go with his scarf. In the picture, a light breeze had been pushing them and Percy had nearly tripped while looking at Olivia's smile as she pointed out a butterfly. She was facing him now, her finger still pointing to the butterfly and her bright smile perfectly captured on camera as she watched him struggle to maintain his balance.

His mom had taken the picture just as it happened. Under other circumstances, maybe he would've been embarrassed. But he figured Olivia's smile saved the whole thing. It kind of made the picture feel like some perfect, once-in-a-lifetime moment that Percy was happy got to be documented permanently. Since Olivia had moved away, he liked using the picture to remind himself that Camp Half-Blood hadn't just been his imagination.

He hadn't seen Olivia since she moved, and he'd missed her a great deal. He kept all her letters in a box he'd bought specifically for them and he had a whole stash of letters he never sent to her under his own bed. He should've sent them. She hadn't replied to his birthday gift, so he wondered if she was mad at him.

He wished Olivia were here now. Maybe she'd understand what his dream meant, given that she was a prophet of sorts.

Just before he could close the notebook, Matt Sloan reached over and ripped the photo out of the rings.

"Hey!" Percy protested, reaching to snatch it back.

Sloan checked out the picture and his eyes got wide before he squinted. "Didn't take you for a caramel guy, Jackson," he said, making Percy's heart skip from rage as he processed the words. "Personally, I prefer lighter, but I guess she's pretty. Who is that, anyways? She is not your-"

"Give it back!" Percy demanded, feeling his face burn red.

Sloan handed the photo to his ugly buddies, who snickered and stared at it as if looking at some piece of meat. These guys looked a lot older than eighth grade, so Percy felt even more rage when one of them licked his lips at the picture as if Olivia was some object.