5. 𝘈𝘭𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘏𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘋𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘶𝘴 𝘍𝘰𝘳 𝘢 𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘍𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓: 𝐀𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐇𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐃𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐮𝐬 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝

December 17, 2019

ALICE SAW THE SMALL KITTEN ON HER WAY BACK TO THE CAR. She hissed at Alice as she passed. But there was like, zero time to worry about her lecturing them in meows. Alice ignored the cat and told Zoë to put the pedal to the metal and get them the Hades out of there.

They'd been crossing the Potomac when they realized they were still being followed. Bianca pointed out the sleek, black military model. "It looks just like the one at Westover Hall," she said.

"They know the van," Percy said. "We have to ditch it."

Zoë swerved into the fast lane. Alice sucked in a breath as she noticed the helicopter was gaining.

"Maybe the military will shoot it down," Grover said hopefully.

"It's a military model. They'll probably thinks it's one of theirs," Alice pointed out.

"How can the General use mortals, anyway?" Percy asked.

"Mercenaries," Zoë replied bitterly. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid."

"But don't these mortals see who they're working for?" Percy asked. "Don't they notice all the monsters around them?"

"Something called the Mist gets in the way of that, dingus," Alice huffed, turning to look at Percy.

"Why are you so snippy?" he asked.

"I didn't even want to be here," Alice answered. "That's why."

"Besides, I doubt it would matter to them if they knew the truth," Zoë said. "Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters."

"Yeah, ask my mom," Alice muttered.

"Was she anything like Annabeth's dad?" Percy asked.

"I wish," Alice grumbled.

"Or Alisha's bio-mom," Grover said. "She's not quiet about her hatred of that lady. She'll tell anyone who asks."

"Who's Alisha?" Bianca asked, her brows furrowed.

"Olivia's mom," Alice told her. "Long story short, she's from ye old ancient days and through time shenanigans, she ended up in the present day."

"You know Alisha's backstory?" Percy asked.

"Yes, Perseus," Alice replied. "As the first person to befriend Olivia and Annabeth when they got to camp all those years ago, I know a lot about them. Stop asking me dumb questions."